Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Soft removed, CPU not running [Merged topics]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fredp333

fredp333

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

I got a rogue antivirus program on my computer yesterday, Antivirus Soft. I followed online instructions (from bleepingcomputer) for removal and when I start up in regular mode, the computer takes forever to load. When I try to connect to the internet, the program I use to do so freezes. When I tell the system to shut down or restart, it takes several minutes even to get to the blue "Windows is shutting down" screen, and that screen will stay on, I have to manually shut it down. I can't connect to the internet, and now when I load the system I am asked to choose an account to log on to (Admin/etc. this has never happened before). Also I can't click on the start button to pull up the menu, no programs i try to run will run, and my anti-virus (AVG) does not find any infections when I do a scan in safe mode. I can't do a scan in normal mode, avg will not open.

I must have either done something wrong in trying to uninstall this thing, when I restart in safe mode and use rkill and MBAM, no processes will be killed and MBAM doesn't find any infections.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Fred
Dell Inspiron 1700
Windows XP

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 February 2010 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fredp333

fredp333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hello,

I got the Antivirus Soft rogue antivirus program on my system two days ago. I followed Bleepingcomputer's guide for removal, where I download rkill and MBAM and restart in safe mode to run both of those. RKill killed one process and MBAM found nothing during the scan. I posted something on this forum 2 days ago but haven't heard back, so I reposted this with some new information.

Whenever I start up now, I am asked to log into an account. I have never used this feature and the "Administrator" settings should still be factory.
When I start up in normal mode, there is no functionality--no program will stay open and running, they just freeze after a few minutes.
I started in safe mode and tried to run SuperAntiSpyware, and was given the message "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." This occurred on both the Administrator and on my named account.
I can't get internet access, the program I use to connect to my wireless router does not work when I open it.
Also when I shut down the system after either Safe or Normal mode, it takes several minutes to get to the blue "Windows is shutting down" screen and then it will freeze on that screen, never really shutting down unless I manually do so.

Please help, I rely on this computer for work and can't afford to be cut off from the world next week. Thanks so much for the time. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3, on a Dell laptop 1710, about 2.5 years old.

Fred

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your topic - in future, though, please only post one topic.

With the information you have provided I believe that you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 fredp333

fredp333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

In the process of finishing the GMER scan then I will post both that log and the DDS log to the other forum, thanks for the response!

Fred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users