Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibility of windows 7 root kit?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arctic

Arctic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

Greetings,

The other day i received a phone call from a friend, who claimed they clicked something and now the computer was dead.

I drove out and found the computer infected with security tool. The item that suprised me was that the operating systems was Vista premium 64 bit edition.

To make a long story short i was able to remove the infection with malware bytes.

I also did a scan with Spybot S&D, also SuperAnti Spyware.

All scans turned out clean once i removed some items with malwarebytes.

I also ran a scan from ESET and the scan turned up nothing.

I ran ADSspy, and deleted two entires realated to the recylce bin.

Once finished I applied all immunizations from spybot search and destory, as well as javacools spyware blaster. Also i updated their Anti-Virus (McAfee... yuck). A final note was i installed Microsoft security Essentials, i might as well test it on more compuetrs than just mine.

The computer seems fine, my question is

Do root kits exist for 64 bit operating systems and if so, what tool should i run to try and find this.

Note: This computer is not at my disposal, this will be something i may check on the weekend.
I can only help.. If i know what the problem is.

we never have time to do things right, but we always have time to do them again

LAWL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users