Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

oh dear, i think i've got a problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 theslav

theslav

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

so, i'm feeling pretty embarrassed posting this, i've built four computers from spare parts and am generally a huge nerd for security, but i looks to me like i've got a virus. it's nothing major, but i feel like it'll get worse if i ignore it.

basically what happened is, i left my house today, my computer was working just fine and dandy. i go out for a few drinks with the lads, come back, and my computer's rebooted; it installed some updates. (i'm running 64 bit vista on an HP laptop) i log in, and out of nowhere and seemingly for no reason at all it starts making that horrible 'error' noise. dialogue boxes keep popping up with no actual dialogue in them, and there's only an 'ok' button. the header on the boxes reads mP88MheWiP9. i ran rkill and they're not popping up anymore. my antivirus isn't picking anything up and searching for 'mP88MheWiP9' didn't yield any results. any idea what i'm dealing with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjo-xx

danjo-xx

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

If you think the updates caused the problem then the first thing I would do is a system restore, you may have to go into safe mode to do it. just my 2 cents worth. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users