Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a drive from my old computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 in cog

in cog

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

Hi..well I'll try this again..my last attempt never got answered so I bought a new PC. LOL I just bought a new HP

Desktop PC p6310y and I'd like to use my Western Digital TB drive from my old PC as well. That drive was on my other

PC which had Windows XP OS on it. This new one has "7". No operating system was on the old drive (that I know of unless

there were hidden files unknown to me). When using the old PC the OS was on an 80GB drive. Is there something I

need to do to

the old TB drive to ensure it works on my new PC? I heard of a device that i could hook up to the old TB and transfer

all data to my new PC before installing it but I'm worried I will lose over 50,000 mp3's. I don't even know what the

device is called or how much it would be. I don't have the files backed up YET. I don't even know if this new PC can

accommodate 2 TB's. The new PC has 6 GB of memory but I don't know if the power supply will be OK either. Is

there some kind soul out there that could answer these questions? Thanks much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Just put the old drive in, and it will work.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

I don't know if the power supply will be OK either

They answered your question

I'll try this again..my last attempt never got answered

If you are talking about the Feb. 5th post, you never followed it up to let anyone know that you were still having problems

I don't even know what the device is called or how much it would be.

A USB external enclosure $20 +
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....26&name=Yes

Or as cryptodan said
Install it, while making sure you boot to the main drive and explore the 2nd drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the help....as far as the Feb. 5th post...I didn't "bump" the post because I read somewhere that I wasn't supposed to. In the meantime..I lost my PC because it was stuck on the screen with safe mode boot up...only I didn't put it there..and it wouldn't get off of that, so I just decided to buy a new PC. I wasn't able to come back here and make another post, but i gave a friend my user name and password and asked him to see if there was a reply. The device I was asking about was an IDE Sata to USB cable...I went to an online LIVE tech room where I could talk to someone 1 on 1 and then ordered it through Tiger Direct. Thanks much for the input though. It's nice that you guys take the time to help people. Much appreciated. You can close the topic..again..thanks.

Edited by in cog, 25 February 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Bumping a topic is acceptable if you wait a day or two and do it sparingly
I've seen people here bump every 15 to 30 minutes

You do not want to bump in our Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, where members submit their DDS logs for analysis
Only MR team members are allowed to answer there. If they see the post count increasing for you topic, they assume you are being helped and will pass you over
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

OK..well..again thanks...I'm in Cleveland too...SNOW FOR SALE....CHEAP! :huh: This topic can be closed.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

I'm by the airport and it's still coming down
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users