Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp activation after recovery disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

Hello everyone, after a severe Malware infection I was advised by IBM to use thier recovery disks which will whipe my system clean. The problem is that before they told me to do this I called them because I was unable to get my Windows XP Pro activated after I tried a repair installation. Every time I entered the Product Key that was on the bottom of my laptop it said it was a incorrect Product Key. So I called IBM and they said that they didn't know why the key wasn't working and that they would send me some recovery disks. So my question is...is Windows going to ask for the Product Key again? And if it didn't work before am I likely to have the same problem? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

The new disc's will have a new matching key.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

Is whats on the recovery disks the same version that is listed on the COA?

XP Home Keys cannot be used for XP Pro and vice versa.

#4 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Yeah its the same version and everything. They are Lenovo recovery disks not Windows xp disks but I think it should work either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users