Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Changing Registered User Name

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Dew Addict

Mountain Dew Addict

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

I let my sister use my computer for a few months while I was in the process of moving. She ended up completely reinstalling Windows for absolutely no reason. Besides losing all of my data, the real annoyance is that now that I have it back...the registered user name is hers AND it's not even spelled correctly.

I use Windows XP Home edition, fully updated SP3 and everything.

I have already used regedit to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\RegisteredOwner.

This did, of course, successfully change it back to my name on the System Properties and things of that nature, however, as the website I used to get instructions on how to edit the registry states...Note: This will only change the registered user information for Windows, not for the applications on your system. Therefore...when I do anything on the computer at all, I still see her misspelled name everywhere such as "C:\Documents and Settings\Melisa\Desktop."

So, my question is...how do I further change it so that "Melisa" is not anywhere on the computer and it accurately shows my own name? Please tell me I don't have to reinstall Windows just for that. I realize it's not a major issue...I'm just very much OCD about organizing my computer and keeping my system in order. When I share files with friends or anything like that, I really hate seeing that there. It's purely a "cosmetic" annoyance, but I'd like to change it if possible. Someone told me that it was possible but that it would make all the programs in the computer stop working.

If it's not possible to correct it, I can live with it, of course. I have too much information here to re-install windows for such a silly issue. It would just be nice to have it changed.

Thank you,
NOT Melisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

You could try creating a new User Account with your name and then delete the old User Account.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Mountain Dew Addict

Mountain Dew Addict
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:09 AM

I thought about this when I made a user account for my mom today. I was just wondering...if I make it an admin as well...if I'd lose info...but if memory serves me correct there is a way to copy files....Hmmmmm...time for more research unless someone else knows.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

You will need to copy over any data stored in the "My Documents" folder and sub-folders, which are located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Mountain Dew Addict

Mountain Dew Addict
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Well, I tried to copy the files to another user so that I could delete the one with "Melisa"...I used these directions:

http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

However, I didn't seem to have any luck copying the user profile. I'm not even sure this would correct the problem. Hmmmmm...

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:10 AM

Even though the profile is not corrupt, the concept is the same so following the instructions in this article from Microsoft should work, it did for me.

I copied everything in all the folders in the documents and settings folder for the original account to the new account, took a while, but it made it so the new account had everything I had when I used the old name. Everything worked fine other than there was some quirk with the customizing of the look of the folders in the new profile so I did not keep it and just learned to live with the original pc owners name being in the documents and settings folder. You might want to give it a some time before deleting the original account to make sure there are no quirks with the new name. That way, if something is not quite right, you can go back to the original one.

Ooops, link would help, lol. Here it is....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Edited by Stang777, 25 February 2010 - 04:19 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

FWIW: To move the files from the current Docs & Settings folders...to the new one...you will probably have to take ownership of those files.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

Maybe I just lucked out but I did not have to do that. I just copied them over and they worked

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

Or maybe I should not have said "probably" :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 stven71

stven71

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

Assume this is a laptop... Sounds suspicious. Why would your dear ol sis reinstall OS? And then go to the extraordinary length of calling computer manufact. and telling them she is new owner of machine?

And how could she reinstall OS w/out backup disk?

It could be mountain dew just happened to come into possession of a computer previously owned by a person known as Melissa

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

To stven71:

Well...some users clean install because they don't know how to get rid of malware...some users clean install because they don't know to overcome problems they have created in Windows.

Just posting from my personal experiences.

Changing the name of the owner...and creating new profiles...are things that are done everyday without invoking undue suspicion.

How do you validate your premise...and, if validated, what do you do about it?

Louis

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

Stevn, where does the OP state that the manufacturer was called?

Backup disks are not the only way to install an operating system, in fact, I have never used them and have never had them. I have always used a retail disk of Windows.

I really find nothing suspicious about this situation and no reason accusations should be made against Mountain Dew Addict

Btw, just like many other people, I have also done what the OP has done to change the name that shows as the registered owner of this computer and I have done everything, short of reinstalling the operating system, to make it so someone elses name does not appear anywhere on this system and I got this system fair and square.

Edited by Stang777, 25 February 2010 - 06:14 PM.

#13 stven71

stven71

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Stagg777, I'm just a suspicious person by nature. I'm an attorney.

"Stevn, where does the OP state that the manufacturer was called?"

You're right. I misread...

For sis to erase harddrive without bothering to check with him is more than just unusual behavior. I think it rises to the level maliciousness.

A number of things about this situation just sounds fishy to me.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'm an attorney.

And yet you make unsubstantiated allegations???

It could be mountain dew just happened to come into possession of a computer previously owned by a person known as Melissa

One is suppose to be innocent until proven guilty

Edited by Stang777, 25 February 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#15 stven71

stven71

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

"It could be mountain dew just happened to come into possession of a computer previously owned by a person known as Melissa"

With all due respect Stagg777, that statement above is not an allegation.

I'm not inferring moutain dew is up to something nefarious. His OP sounds fishy. Just a personal observation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users