Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

So when information is written on a hard drive, does it try to put it all in one place, or does it get thrown around randomly? If it gets written all over the hd, how does partitioning separate things?

Now say you just bought a hard drive and you're thinking of bringing it back to the store. Isn't it a concern that someone may look through it and find saved passwords in firefox? It seems to me that if created a small (say 10gb) partition to work with, if you want to bring back the hard drive, you should be able to erase that 10gb partition pretty easily and fast by formating and downloading random stuff to it (or using one of those hd wiping programs that they say STILL aren't guarenteed to erase everything 100%. That, as opposed to trying to erase a 500gb hard drive.

Why I ask? Well I just got a 500 gb Seagate hard drive. It was making some slight noises. Doesn't seem to be doing it now. Maybe its because its new and needs to be broken in. Then I read some posts somewhere saying that Seagate hd's have been bad lately and many of them crash. I don't think I will be returning this. Especially since the sound seems to have stopped (is any hard drive noise ok?). But if I did want to return it, is it too late to make a partition and have it like surround and capture everything that I've done (at least firefox bookmarks) and then that small section could be formatted and erased easily?

Stupid question thats not really important, but I figured I'd ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

I'm no expert but it would seem like an awful lot of trouble to retrieve info stored on a hard drive that has been formatted. I imagine they would at least know first that the hard drive they wanted to take info off actually had something worth it to worry about.

These days formatting a large hard drive doesn't even take that long so I don't know why you would want to only break a 10gb partition to store your data, seems like too much trouble.

If you are that worried about it don't save passwords in firefox. write them down and keep them somewhere safe at home.

Edited by jon51, 25 February 2010 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users