Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH?!?!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pleezhelp

Pleezhelp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

ok yesterday my other computer got that dreaded Blue Screen of Death!! So I went ahead and did the Recovery on it. i got it up and running and it seemed to be working fine...But this morning when I checked, it was running slow, something came up saying i didn't have enough memory and i had to reboot and that's when the blue screen came up for like a second ...dont know what's happening.. I went to Safe Mode and am running Norton rightnow just to see if I have any viruses... I just need some help in figuring what the heck is wrong and why the blue screen would come back up. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

How much ram/hard drive space does the computer have?

Chances are you were running out of memory and the system crashed, or someone disabled the page file and your system ran out of ram.

#3 Pleezhelp

Pleezhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

ok I went to Control Panel/Systems and it says I have 256 MB of RAM....i also went to msconfig and disabled everything, restarted and it's running slow but it's alittle better. I don't think that fixed the problem but I just don't understand this.

Chances are you were running out of memory and the system crashed, or someone disabled the page file and your system ran out of ram.

How can the page file be disabled and where the heck is this page file at?lol

Also, when i look at the Add/Removes Programs list I always have things installed on there that I didn't install for instance: BargainBuddy or 1800Assistant. i have used Spyware and Adaware removal programs and antivirus but these things still somehow get reinstalled. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Thanks!

#4 Pleezhelp

Pleezhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

ok...so after I went to msconfig and disabled everything yesterday, my computer was working really good..wasn't slow or anything...seemed to be going great...but just a few minutes ago i got the blue screen again and it cut off on me....it's ok...for now anyway..what is going on?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

It seems that you have a spyware/malware infestation.

BargainBuddy is but one example. You probably have many more with more being allowed in constantly.

By disabling "everything" in msconfig you have probably disabled your anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall applications.

The next step now would be to update both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy
(or download, install, update and run them from safe mode setting them to fix what they find if you do not already have both of them.)
*AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that I would advise you to post a "Hijack This" log in the appropriate section of our forum to seek expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our "HijackThis" forum, here
Carefully read and then follow the directions explicitly.

Per instructions, run a log, and post it in the appropriate HJT forum, at this link.

Do not attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This yet.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze the log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a short period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of the HJT Team are kept very busy.
Pleasebe patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum until you get a response from a member of the HJT expert team.

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking to see if a reply has been made might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 September 2005 - 09:33 PM.

#6 Pleezhelp

Pleezhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:20 PM

i was able to get the information off of the blue screen and I also posted a HijackThis log so if somehow can help that would be great.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xFF947DA4,0xF9678150,0xF9677E50)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users