Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Second HD with RAID BIOS, Without Using RAID

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fielding Melish

Fielding Melish

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

When I bought my desktop PC (Dell XPS 410), it came configured for RAID even though there was only one hard drive installed (Seagate Barracuda SATA, 500 GB). That hard drive is nearly full and I'd like to add an second internal drive. I want it only for the additional space, so am not interested in the using RAID for performance or redundency.

In the BIOS, the SATA Operation setting provides two options:

1) RAID Autodetect/ATA (RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA)
2) RAID On (SATA is configured for RAID on every boot)

Currently, Option 2 is selected. The BIOS says that this is the factory default and warns that changing this option can render the machine unbootable.

Is it possible for me to install a second hard drive and not use a RAID configuration? I assume this would involve changing the SATA Operation setting to 1) RAID Autodetect/ATA - is that safe? And for Option 1, what does "RAID if signed drives" mean?

Thanks in advance for any help/input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...EN/YH251A02.pdf

As I read/interpret...it seems that your original setting should have been the Autodetect/ATA setting. Since your system has no support for ATA hard drives, I would take that to be what I call "IDE emulation/simulation" which makes it easy for the user to install XP without bothering with SATA drivers.

I'm not familiar with Dell BIOS setups.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users