Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer very slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3pinespro

3pinespro

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

For about the last week or so, when I go to "My Computer" to open various drives, I have to wait about 15 seconds while I watch the flashlight go back and forth. Once I'm in a drive that I've selected, I can go from folder to folder normally with no hesitation. As soon as I go back to the main My Computer area, I have to wait again. I've cleaned out all of the temp files, defragged all of the drives, and ran "Spybot - Search and Destroy". It still has the problem, though.

Also, just recently, one of my video production applications won't open .wmv files! I have to convert them to mp3's to work with the audio. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but no change.

I also forgot to mention that one of the drives recently failed. I had an error message a couple of times about a couple bad sectors and now the computer sees the drive but shows nothing on it and I can't access it.

Any ideas?

Windows XP Pro
Home built computer using ASUS AMD board and Phenom quad core processor, 8G of ram (but only seems to be reading 3Gig).

Edited by 3pinespro, 24 February 2010 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

I also forgot to mention that one of the drives recently failed.

I'd start with removing it.

8G of ram (but only seems to be reading 3Gig).

If 32-bit system, it's normal.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

Remove the failed drive, then upgrade to a 64bit OS or else your 8Gigs of RAM is going to waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users