Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Setup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I am going to school at the University of Connecticut.

The Student Veterans Association (SVA) was recently given an old (close too 100 years) frat house to use. It was not used for several years, and the whole place is in need of an upgrade on just about everything.

Where it is located, there is no wireless signal from the University's wireless network. The house is wired for networking, but only with a single Ethernet plug. This was done about 12-13 years ago, when home networking was in its infancy. Most students have there own laptops

Due to budget cuts, the State wont give the University money to upgrade as of yet. This means that for about a few dozens student Veterans, we have to share a single Ethernet cable to connect to the campus network, thats if we want to chill at the Veterans house.
We currently are running a 75 ft cable to anyone who wants to use it.

Now...what should we get? A router? switch? Wireless access point? The SVA advisor told us that we could set up a network on the Veterans house, but that we would have to pay out of pocket for it. We don't want to spend a fortune either, since they probably wont reimburse us.

I have at my own personal home network, i use a Net-gear WGR-614 router at my house (off campus), and i have A&T DSL as my provider. Will this work on a University Network? I would only assume that this is much like a very large corporate network, perhaps over 10,000 computers are connected to it. I know about the basics of networking, i do not have any experience with a very large network.

I know that a router separates networks, or should i get a switch just to add more computers, since its already on a network? We want to really make it wireless much as possible due to the age of the house (rumor has it that the state will give us money, once the economy gets better), due do the fact that it might be torn down and renovated

So..any input would be great!

Edited by Derek Ellis, 25 February 2010 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

My guess would be you are correct, if it is connected to the campus network, you'd just need a wireless access point but the price of those is about the same as a normal wireless router so you might as well use a wireless router with the DHCP turned off. Maybe one of the guys already have one so it'd be free. You'll want it as close to the center of the house as possible for the best signal.

The best way to tell this is when you connect to the cable, what IP address does your PC get? We just need the first two sets of numbers like 192.168.x.x .

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

I am at home right now, when i go to the campus tomorrow i will check the IP address.

So I'm thinking about just finding a router on ebay, hopefully for less than $20.

So if DHCP is disabled, the router will act like a switch and/or a wireless access point?

If i recall, DHCP is when the ISP gives a host an IP address. This will cause confusion in setting up a connection, correct?

Edited by Derek Ellis, 25 February 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Correct about a router without DHCP enabled.

Yes you assessment of DHCP is basically correct. And yeah it can cause issues if you have DHCP from the university and you run a router with DHCP. It'll work either way but with both it can cause issues with some things.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

The plug is on an outside wall. what i think i will do is to take that current 75 ft cable and just staple it to the floorboards, and place the router in the more central location. The phone line is already done this way, the outside line is on an outer wall and a cable is snaked and stapled to a desk about in a more centreal area. Remember this house is about 100 years old, and built in a somewhat rural area. Its not as rural as it once was, but a 5 mile drive out from the campus there is not much. UConn is about 30 miles east of Harford.

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

I'm right now plugged into the Ethernet port on my laptop

I did ipconfig on the command prompt

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : uconn.edu
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1073:bc3b:e1e:9f93%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 137.99.39.157
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 137.99.39.1

Edited by Derek Ellis, 25 February 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

The plug is on an outside wall. what i think i will do is to take that current 75 ft cable and just staple it to the floorboards, and place the router in the more central location. The phone line is already done this way, the outside line is on an outer wall and a cable is snaked and stapled to a desk about in a more centreal area. Remember this house is about 100 years old, and built in a somewhat rural area. Its not as rural as it once was, but a 5 mile drive out from the campus there is not much. UConn is about 30 miles east of Harford.

We both have the same router, mine is the WGR614 v9, what version is yours?

Not to get off topic but U-Conn is a fine college I'm sure they will set you all up with a better setup.

By the way, I am also in Norwich, CT. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

That IP address is not a private IP. So you need a router just like you have off campus. You could get one off eBay but if you have just 5 people there and if you all kicked in $10 you'd be able to get a brand new router.

#9 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

Mr Bruce,

Yes UConn is an excellent place.

However, i think they WILL provide it in the future, just not right now.

I spoke with the SVA advisor today, he said that they (the state and University) are going to be working on building code repairs this summer.

So...yes i think that we will get what is needed, its just not on the "to do " list right now.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 25 February 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#10 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

yes i am going to put up a flyer asking everyone who wants to get this to pitch in $1. I think that should be plenty.

I am thinking of getting the same router i have now. I don't know the version, Ive had it for about 2 years now.

So..if its not a private IP, do i still need to have the DHCP disabled? Also, does this mean that this connection is not actually part of the UConn Network? ie from an ISP?

I have been told that this house has changed hands a lot over the years, from private owners, to the Town of Storrs, Fraternities, The University, and now the Student Veterans Assoc.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 25 February 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Well WAAAAY back when Al Gore started the Internet( BWAHAHAHAHA ), they gave out IP addresses like free samples at Costco. Never thinking that anyone but businesses and really rich people would own a computer. Then came Bill Gates and his "stolen" err borrowed DOS OS, which he sold to IBM but IBM stupidly ( and thankfully ) forgot to sign an exclusive use agreement. This allowed Billy boy to sell DOS to anyone. And thus began the personal computer craze. Which meant we needed more and more IP addresses. Which is why IPv6 was developed but was taking FOREVER to do. So as a stop gap they came up with private IP addresses and NAT ( Network Address Translation or basically the taking 1 IP and turning it into many ). Which has made IPv6 not really needed. But there are countries out there that use it, guessing that China and India would need to use it. But what does this have to do with me, you might ask? Well...nothing really lol.

But your school might have been given enough IP addresses to hand them out like that. So you could still be part of the campus network but have a rout-able IP address. To answer your question, you'll want DHCP enabled. Basically you'll want to set it up like you did yours at your off campus place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users