Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Connection won't allow multiple users simultaneously

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm trying to setup a computer so that multiple users can log onto it remotely at the same time. I managed to get the remote logon part to work, but not the at the same time part. If one user is logged on, and another user tries to log on, that second user gets the message that someone else is already logged and so no one else can log on.

But there must be a way to have multiple users logged on simultaneously. How?

All users are on XP machines and using Remote Desktop Connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

But there must be a way to have multiple users logged on simultaneously. How?

All users are on XP machines and using Remote Desktop Connection.

Unfortunately there isn't. Its setup that way by design.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

I think I recall success with this once and do not have in my notes how to do it which means I only did it once. I think I must do it twice to qualify for a copy/paste instruction from me!

If you perform a Google search for:

xp remote desktop multiple

You will get some hits that involve termsrv.dll and a registry adjustment (download a .RAR and follow the easy instructions), but I remember something about using Group Policy and adjusting upward the allowed number of connections which defaults to 1. I did not look at all the Google hits either.

The GP adjustment might be all that is needed nowadays if you are on SP3. That would be Group Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Terminal Services, Limit Number of Connections (enable and increase). My GPE shows it currently not configured, but I know I have messed with it before. If you are using XP Home, we will have to adjust the registry.

I would try adjusting the Group Policy Editor first since it is easy. If you have XP Home, I can tell you how to fix the registry by hand since XP Home does not include GPE.

I can't test it very easily, but this link sounds familiar and I just downloaded the .RAR and looked at it and it is not frightening to me. Just backup the DLL, make a manual Restore Point, if you do the registry fix use ERUNT or something to back up the registry first. ...some common sense!

If I had the means, I would sure give it a shot. Read through the post history - for some folks it works right away, some folks have some cockpit errors along the way...

http://alonbilu.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/e...-file-included/

Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this popular free tool:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users