Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External monitor for a 15-inch Macbook Pro?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Camilla Q.

Camilla Q.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi guys, I just signed up. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me, because I've never bought a monitor for a laptop before. (I hope this is the right place to post this..)

After lots of deliberation between it and the 17-inch, I'm probably about to buy one of the new 15-inch Macbook Pros (2.8 GHz), based mostly on the 1440x900 native resolution (I've had a 15-inch Powerbook G4 for the last 5 years and can't really bring myself to adjust to how small everything on the 17-inch screen looks in comparison). However, I do wish for a bigger screen and have started wondering about the possibility of buying an external monitor along with the 15-inch MBP. Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there even any good matches for a 15-inch MBP out there? I wasn't sure what I needed to look for, like if I needed to find a monitor with that same native resolution, or buy a video card of that resolution and install that on an appropriate sized monitor or what. (Personally customizing things like that is fairly new to me)
I've never bought an external monitor before, so if anyone can give me some suggestions of models or factors I should be most concerned with, that would be great. The most intensive stuff I'd be using the monitor for would be graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, maybe a little Final Cut Express) and movies.

Thanks so much!
- Cami

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Which graphics do you have?

The 17-inch MacBook Pro and select 15-inch models have an advanced graphics architecture that employs both the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processors.

You also need to be sure the monitor you buy comes with the new style cord Mini DisplayPort

The new MacBook Pro has a small port that makes a big difference. The Mini DisplayPort is part of a new industry standard. It delivers a pure digital connection to external displays — even large 30-inch displays — quickly and without a glitch. No more multiple-pin connectors with unwieldy screws. The ultracompact Mini DisplayPort gives you plug-and-play performance with the Apple LED Cinema Display. And it supports VGA and DVI connections, too.

Did it come with an adapter for a VGA monitor?

Edited by garmanma, 25 February 2010 - 11:00 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users