Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

setup files won't go away

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Home onto a computer at work. Something strange is happening. It seems the setup files are not erasing upon reboot. Even after I take the CD out and reboot, I still get the option of loading Windows XP Home or Windows XP setup. What's worse is that Windows XP setup is the default option, so if I leave the computer to its own devices when starting up, it will commence the Windows XP installation program.

I've got two partitions. One is 40GB and seems to contain the setup files that keep prompting me with my choices on bootup. The other is 4.5 GB and contains the new installation of Windows. Obviously, I'm being prompted to load into either of these two at startup. The problem is, even if I load into the new installation of Windows, and I try to reformat the other partition from there, it fails half way through (my guess is that it encounters the setup files and aborts the operation).

If I could only get rid of those setup files, I (probably) wouldn't be prompted to choose what to boot into at startup nor would reformatting the large partition fail. Does anyone know how to get rid of setup files that just won't go away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

<<I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Home onto a computer at work.>>

What was the source media used for said install?

<<What's worse is that Windows XP setup is the default option, so if I leave the computer to its own devices when starting up, it will commence the Windows XP installation program.>>

It would seem that you have a nonstandard boot.ini file...that needs to be modified.

<<I've got two partitions.>>

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

<<I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Home onto a computer at work.>>

What was the source media used for said install?

Just a standard CD. I'm not even sure if it's the one that came with the computer.

<<What's worse is that Windows XP setup is the default option, so if I leave the computer to its own devices when starting up, it will commence the Windows XP installation program.>>

It would seem that you have a nonstandard boot.ini file...that needs to be modified.

How do I modify it and what do I modify it to?

<<I've got two partitions.>>

System manufacturer and model?

HP Pavilion. There are two numbers on the sticker and I'm not sure which is the model#: N09-003319 and 00043-165-225-681.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Who is the IT point of contact...at work?

That's who should be handling this.

Louis

#5 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Who is the IT point of contact...at work?

That would be me.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

Are there any other methods that could be causing the computer to attempt a reinstall such as an network service?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

What is reflected in right column/window for System Manufacturer and System Model?

To modify the boot.ini file...try the following: Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#8 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

What is reflected in right column/window for System Manufacturer and System Model?

To modify the boot.ini file...try the following: Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm.

Louis

Thanks hamluis,

That helped, though I'm still not able to reformat the larger partition. But I think I found a solution around that problem. I figured out why I was unable to reformat it the first time installing the OS anew (I couldn't boot from the CD on bootup, but now I can, and I'm told this is key to deleting any partition I want no matter what). So I'll try this and I'll probably have a single partition with the new OS install on it, and no further problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users