Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

helpassistant virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 clarmar29

clarmar29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

I hate to plead ignorance and i cannot probably even word this correctly., but here goes.
My computer has been running slow and completely freezes. I have noticed that i have 2 or 3 help assistants along with administrator and my wife and i on the list of users. I have ran malware bytes, but no luck in getting rid of. I have notice alot of items placed in my documents and settings that i did not add. If anyone has a way i can repair this it would be appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

I read this from this forum here

I just spent 10 hours cleaning a system of Mebroot. The fix was actually not that bad in retrospect.

Use MBR.EXE from gmer.net to monitor your infection and cleaning. It is the only tool that can detect the infection plus the location of the actual virus executable code on the end of your hard disk sectors. The main goal is to eliminate it from your MBR.

I had to do a fresh boot (from power off) into a Windows XP CD for Recovery Console and then issue FIXMBR. The trick is to issue MAP to learn the name of your HD and then issue “FIXMBR \Device0\Harddisk0\” or whatever is appropriate. It should ask you Y/N to replace the MBR.

Then issue FIXBOOT.

I had a scare where it said Invalid Partition Table and would not boot like I lost my C drive. I knew the data was still there so I remained calm and did a FIXBOOT in Recovery Console and that fixed things.

Now the system seems OK where before it was thrashing the disk and copying furiously into HelpAssist profile.

Hope this helps someone.

you could try it and hopefully it helps :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users