Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting my flashdrive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

ok i have linux on my flashdrives, and my schools have XP (i think pro) and i want to boot my portable linux so i can keep everything with me (plus im trying to learn linux). i know how to get TO the boot screen (press F10) but im having trouble accessing my flashdrive, what will it be under? i know that on vista it "HDD" but on XP im not sure. there are 4-6 selections, and ive tried all of them, but my flashdrive wont boot....... im woundering how i can fix this.

thanks =)
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

You had better check with school policy first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

ok, i think they will allow me to do it, but i cant talk to anyone who knows anything.........our tech guys are downtown =(

#4 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

90% of schools have tech guys on hand.
ask them theyre usually in charge of IT security.

linux would inadvertantly by-pass any security protocols in XP making you able to view sites (games, adult etc) or download material(viruses, games etc,)
definitely check.
your best booting off of a live disc and then saving to a flashdrive if it wont allow you to boot froma flashdrive (in my opinion)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

I would think school computer practices would even be in the school handbook
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

That would be in direct violation of your schools IT Policy probably. Its not allowed for a reason, and most often then not if you were able to do it. You wouldnt be able to get online.

#7 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

ok thanks, ive decided to just get rid of the program, the internet isnt working and i dont understand how to get programs to work on it (linux programs, not windows) so ya....thanks for the help.

i would take the time to learn all of that but i dont have the time for it right now =( ill try again in like a year =(

thanks for the help =)

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

ok thanks, ive decided to just get rid of the program, the internet isnt working and i dont understand how to get programs to work on it (linux programs, not windows) so ya....thanks for the help.

i would take the time to learn all of that but i dont have the time for it right now =( ill try again in like a year =(

thanks for the help =)

Don't give up so soon have a read: http://wireless.ictp.it/school_2003/docs/linux/rute.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users