Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannibalizing Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Loreley

Loreley

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

The hard drive on my computer is going. I want to replace it with the hard drive from my daughter's old computer. She lost her recovery disks. Will that pose a problem for me? I'm confused as to whether the hard drives are software "specific". Tried to reformat her computer with my computer's recovery disks, but it wouldn't work. We both have Compaq with Windows XP.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Loreley, 24 February 2010 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Some recovery disks...are system-specific, as I understand it. I would expect all to be so, but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Recovery disks are issued by the manufacturer of the system and are designed for the system issued.

You should try to obtain the appropriate recovery/restore CDs from HP/Compaq.

HP, Compaq Recovery Disks

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users