Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hal.dll Missing or Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RayS

RayS

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

To All,

While booting WinXP Pro SP3, I get "Windows\System32\hal.dll Missing or Corrupt" message.

In C:\Windows\System32 I see HAL.DLL 129KB 4/13/2008 6:31PM This file contains 131,840 bytes. I replaced that file with HAL.DLL from a different PC. The properties of the replaced file are 132KB 4/13/2008 12:11AM The replaced file contains 134,400 bytes.

Background:

I am attempting to recover from a botx trojan which attacked two networked PCs. I was able to locate the infected files on one of the PCs, and I have removed them. That PC is now running normally. The problem persists on a Dell4550. Using Hirin's boot disk and Hirin's "mini XP", I was able to delete the infected files from the Dell4550, but it would hang with a black screen showing "boot error - b00".

I ran "Chkdsk /p/r" three times from Recovery Console. It reported errors the first two times but no errors on the third run. I then executed "fixboot" and "fixmbr" from the Recovery Console. Now, when I try to boot up, I don't see the "boot error - b00" message, but Windows is still unable to start. It still reports "missing or corrupt Windows\System32\hal.dll".

I have supplied a good copy of HAL.DLL from a working PC, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:24 AM

You seem to have done quite a bit on this already, but see if there is anything here that may help-

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

Good luck.

#3 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• 2,284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

You seem to have done quite a bit on this already, but see if there is anything here that may help-

Good luck.

Thank you rowal5555,

Referring to the help info at>>>

I followed the procedure in step 4 "Repair or replace the boot.ini file". Currently the contents of c:\boot.ini are as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I tried reboot, but still get the "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error.

I tried expand e:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. but this gave, "The file could not be expanded" error. Note: I was able to copy e:\i386\hal.dl_ to a temporary folder on my C drive, and I removed all attribute flags, but the EXPAND command still fails with the same error.

I tried replacing c:\windows\system32\hal.dll with a copy of this file from a working PC which is also running WinXP Pro, but I still get the "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error.

Any ideas why EXPAND does not work?

Any other ideas for repairing HAL.DLL ?

Thanks for the help.

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

Sorry Ray.

Let's see if one of our gurus can shed some more light.

I've only had this problem once years ago, and I ended up reinstalling Windows from the Recovery partition. These days I would remove the drive and try replacing the .dll while connected to another computer via USB. FWIW, these days I track down i386 in Windows and copy and paste it straight into C:, so I always have a good copy of all the .DLLs in a separate location (still necessary to remove the drive if it won't boot tho.)

Edited by rowal5555, 10 March 2010 - 01:30 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

May provide some help...may be a bit redundant.

Troubleshooting boot.ini Corruption - http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recove..._corruption.htm

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3962105

Hal.dll Corrupt Or Missing - http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Fowler...missing./175165

How to fix hal.dll is missing or corrupt in windows - http://www.troublefixers.com/how-to-fix-ha...upt-in-windows/

Louis

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

I believe that When XP installs, it figures out the correct hal.dll at installation time - it picks one of seven based on your hardware and that becomes the hal.dll for your system. If I am not right about this, I hope somebody will straighten me out.

So to extract from an installation CD would require extracting the correct one, which is ascertainable, but the chances of it happening to be hal.dl_ are one in seven. Even though hal.dl_ seems like the right thing to extract - for me, it would be very wrong.

For example, if I wanted to expand mine, I would need to expand halaacpi.dl_ (I figured all this out one day). If I extracted hal.dl_, I would get the wrong one for my system.

I extracted mine here from RC several times just a while ago and can't recreate your extract error message, but you would still have to know the correct one to extract (do you?). Are you able to rename the suspicious system32\hal.dll file and then try the extract?

I cannot remember your extraction problem and what it means and can't reproduce it though I have seen it before :thumbsup: but so for in my experience the missing or corrupt hal.dll message points to a botched boot.ini.

If your system cannot boot, how are you copying a hal.dll from a working system to your afflicted system?

How did you get that contents of your boot.ini? Did you type all that stuff into your message here by hand or copy/paste it somehow by booting some other method and if yes, what is that method? It just looks pretty good for a typing it in by hand job. How did you see the contents of your new boot.ini file so perfectly if you are booting using Recovery Console (this is not a trick question).

When you boot RC are you at the C:\WINDOWS prompt?

You say you have run chkdsk /r from RC with no errors?

chkdsk c: /r

In a general configuration with one boot partition, you don't even need a boot.ini to boot. XP will complain about it, but still boot just fine, so from RC you could rename your c:\boot.ini to be sure you do not have one at all and remove that variable from the equation. Something like this from the C:\WINDOWS prompt after RC is loaded:

cd \ (back up a folder to C:\ from C:\WINDOWS)

attrib -shr boot.ini (remove system, hidden, read only attributes)

dir boot.ini (you should see it listed)

ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

dir boot.ini (you should not see it listed)

exit (reboot)

Also, if you use bootcfg /rebuild and you already have a boot.ini (even if it is not broken), you will build on top of the potentially broken one adding more confusion unless you delete the old one first. If I was going to do bootcfg /rebuild, I would make sure I renamed or deleted the current c:\boot.ini file first.

That might be okay for the moment if there was nothing wrong with your original one to begin with, but since you don't even need a boot.ini to boot in the first place (if nothing else is broken), just try to boot without a boot.ini and then see what happens and what to do next.

Edited by joseibarra, 10 March 2010 - 03:28 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• 2,284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

To joseibarra and All,

It was too frustrating to encounter roadblocks while trying some of your suggestions. My data had already been recovered from this PC, so I just took inventory of installed software and reinstalled WinXP from scratch. Reinstalling software is a bit tedious, but it is going well. One benefit (besides simplicity) is that I re-partitioned HD to better suit my needs.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I did learn a few items along the way that were new to me. One REALLY helpful tool is Hiren's Boot CD and the included Mini WinXP which allowed me to take the software inventory and to confirm that I had adequate backups of my data.

It is really comforting to know that this forum exists. Thanks again to you all.

RayS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users