Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe - EntryPoint Not Found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

My other computer is running XP Home (1 GB Ram) and was bogging down to the point where nothing was responding and the only option was the power switch.

One strange symptom was after Windows Explorer would load, (this took minutes to load) the title bar would read Windows Internet Explorer but showed the normal content in the main window.

So, I did a repair installation using my OEM CD.

After all of that, it turned out that my memory modules were at fault. But here is what I have now:

When trying to load Internet Explorer 8, I get the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iexplore.exe - EntryPoint Not Found

The procedure entry point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I can't access the internet, I can't receive Windows Updates, etc.

Any help on this would be appreciated! :thumbsup:
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

From what I see...you need to install SP3, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_correct_t...rnel32.dll'.

SP3 includes SP2, as long as the system already has SP1 installed.

Louis

#3 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hamluis,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the latest. Even though Internet Explorer gave me errors when launched from either the Quick Launch short cut, or the Start Menu shortcut, I did manage to launch it from Control Panel - Windows Updates. Strange.

So, I let Auto Updates do it's thing and after 3 or 4 download and install session, followed by reboots, I started to get a new message when launching IE.

The message was "iexplore.exe ordinal not found. The ordinal 410 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll"
After a brief search on the internet, someone suggested uninstalling IE8.

I did that and magically, after the uninstall was complete, IE7 was there and working just fine. I did not have to install it!
Wierd, but true.

Dan
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

FWIW: SP3 includes IE7, not IE8. IE8 is a separate critical update, post installing SP3.

Louis

#5 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Thanks again for responding.

While I am not disputing the fact that SP3 includes IE7, my computer that was having the issues only has SP2 on it. :thumbsup:
Danno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users