Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antivirus Pro removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mxrfxr

mxrfxr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

The wifes PC appears infected with XP Antivirus Pro.
It can't logon to internet to download the many steps that I read of in similar topics here.
My PC and an older laptop still funtion fine, mostly because the wife and kids can't use them.
All are running Win XP Home (XP Pro on the lapdog.)
I'm not the most comp. literate guy, somewhere between DUH and Slow, or so it seems.
I run a wide array of protection on my PC, and use them religiously, so I can follow instructions, download, run, save, etc.
Getting them into her PC may be a different story.
Posting the results here for the guru's to view will be a first for me.
Many of the files or programs mentioned in similar posts here are new to me.
Should I run her HDD externally on my PC after downloading the recommended programs?
Awaiting your command prompt for duh-mmies. THANX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Should I run her HDD externally on my PC after downloading the recommended programs?

Have you tried safe mode w/networking? Do you have a thump drive that you can transfer the tools with?
Double-check your Internet properties and make sure that the Proxy sever setting is unchecked
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mxrfxr

mxrfxr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

Not sure how to start in Safe Mode, or SM w/networking. I'll try looking that up in "XP for idiots".
I have flash drive, will try loading my tools.
I'll check her Int. properties for Proxy server setting. If checked, was this likely done by the virus/ malware?
Remember, I said I wasn't too computer literate.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

If checked, was this likely done by the virus/ malware?

Yes

Not sure how to start in Safe Mode

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Most of the time you access safe mode you reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 key

In your reading, DO NOT use msconfig to enter safe boot
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mxrfxr

mxrfxr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Mark,
It's a PC that's infected, not a laptop, don't know make and model offhand, it was a custom build from a local Geek Shop.
Considering it's age of about 4-6 years, it's a run of the mill P3 running XP Home, I'd have to crack it open or look at a Belarc Advisor log to tell you more.
Safe Mode F8, yeah I knew it was "Fsomething". Thanks, I'll try that and see what kinds of frustration I get into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users