Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hey everyone, I will be backing up files from a computer that has had a severe virus/malware infection. I am looking for advice on how I can protect myself from re-infecting my computers after using that flash drive. I already have the autorun option disabled on the flash drive but I just want to make sure that I am not going to spread this virus around afterward. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lestatar

lestatar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hey DogStar:

For a start, how about Panda USB Vaccine? I use it constantly and it has never failed me [that and disabling autorun]. It may be exactly what you need and it's FREE!

Check it out:

http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-us...utorun-vaccine/

cheers,
-lestatar

#3 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for the tip lestatar I'll look into that program. Also with flash drives is it likely that if it is infected It would be picked up by a program like Malwarebytes if I scanned the drive? Or is it a different type of infection that wouldn't show up on a scan like that? If it would be picked up by Malwarebytes I may just make sure I scan the drive often. Thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Edited by garmanma, 24 February 2010 - 11:22 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 lestatar

lestatar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the tip lestatar I'll look into that program. Also with flash drives is it likely that if it is infected It would be picked up by a program like Malwarebytes if I scanned the drive? Or is it a different type of infection that wouldn't show up on a scan like that? If it would be picked up by Malwarebytes I may just make sure I scan the drive often. Thanks

Hey DogStar: No worries.

I am no security expert so don't want to steer your wrong. Am sure other, much more expert folks here can help answer your questions.

cheers!
-lestatar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users