Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bouts of computer freezing

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Rexau

Rexau

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

What happens is that my computer will freeze up while I'm doing something, nothing particularly tasking, such as browsing the internet, and my computer will freeze when I'm clicking on something. Some things are able to be highlighted but if I try to click the mouse will stop moving and the whole thing makes a beeping sound and completely freezes. Once it freezes, I reboot it manually, but it will tend to freeze again and a few more times in about 5 minute intervals. It's not too bad, the computer will be fine for a few hours but it gets annoying. On occasion, my computer won't shut down or hibernate, it'll just stay on the "shutting down" blue screen. This has been happening for 2 days now. I've run MalWareBytes and Spybot S&D, fully updated and nothing turns up. I don't think it should be a virus but it might (because I'm getting a lot of invites on MSN to people I don't know).

Can anybody help determine what the problem is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

"The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000243' while processing the file 'SrtETmp' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.""]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."[/url]

What does that mean?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

Edited by Budapest, 23 February 2010 - 11:33 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Okay, I did it but nothing changed. The computer freezing on the blue screen while shutting down or hibernating is now starting to get annoying.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Please post the error checking (chkdsk) log.

Go Start > Run and type "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes). Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry. It should give the chkdsk log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 856 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 856 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 856 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

100390153 KB total disk space.
68135980 KB in 46381 files.
14880 KB in 6060 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
150385 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
32088908 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
25097538 total allocation units on disk.
8022227 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
50 34 01 00 e4 cc 00 00 64 0f 01 00 00 00 00 00 P4......d.......
ff 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 1d 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
70 ec fd 04 00 00 00 00 d2 27 a5 1a 00 00 00 00 p........'......
6c 5f 43 0a 00 00 00 00 f0 05 70 1d 04 00 00 00 l_C.......p.....
fe ec d1 6e 01 00 00 00 56 b1 2b bd 05 00 00 00 ...n....V.+.....
50 47 ea 91 00 00 00 00 c0 3b 07 00 2d b5 00 00 PG.......;..-...
00 00 00 00 00 b0 b0 3e 10 00 00 00 ac 17 00 00 .......>........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Your log looks okay.

I'm not really sure about the 0xC0000243 error and whether that is related to your problem.

Are there any other errors in the Event Viewer that happen at the time of the freezing?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

How much RAM do you have?

#10 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

I have 3.25 GB.

Nothing else in event view is a red mark. There are some things that say they're entering the "stopped state" but I have no clue what that means.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

Open up the Task Manager and keep it open. Then if the computer freezes see if the CPU usage is high when the freeze happens.

It might be overheating that is causing your problem. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I have 3.25 GB.

Nothing else in event view is a red mark. There are some things that say they're entering the "stopped state" but I have no clue what that means.

How many programs do you have open when it goes into hibernation?

#13 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

I've done it with no programs open and it'll still be stopped on the blue screen. It's not something that usually occurs, before this Monday it worked fine with 5 programs running.

Also, CPU usage generally stays below 8%, though there are some spikes up to 30%. I haven't seen one yet of when it freezes. I'll check it for dust now.

#14 Rexau

Rexau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Bump, it might be a firefox problem. Usually, my computer will partially freeze, letting me send MSN messages if I'm on an open window, or when I'm watching a video allow the audio to go but the screen to stay still. Then, when I go to change tabs or use task manager, nothing occurs. If I click around enough I can't move the mouse anymore and it'll make a sustained beep (however, sometimes audio of the window will still play in the background).

Are the freezes and not being able to shutdown or hibernate my computer related or do I need to look for another explanation for that?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

You could try reinstalling Firefox.

1) Download a fresh copy of Firefox and save it.
2) Save your bookmarks by exporting them using the Bookmark Manager menu.
3) Uninstall Firefox Using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
4) Delete the Firefox directory under Mozilla in the Program Files directory.
5) Delete the Firefox directory under the Application Data directory in your user profile.
6) Reinstall Firefox using the download from Step 1.
7) Use the Bookmark Manager menu to import the bookmarks you saved in Step 2.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users