Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Spyware Detector ok?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MsJackie

MsJackie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hi

Someone's just told me that Spyware Detector is the best ever anti-spyware product and that I should definitely get it. I've Googled around a bit to get the measure of it because I've only just had my OS reinstalled (if that is the right terminology) after my laptop was completely disabled thanks to the Security Antivirus 2010 malware. Obviously the last thing I want to do is bring a whole new nightmare into my system. Advice on Spyware Detector seems mixed but leaning towards negative. That said, a lot of the info on it seems to be from a couple of years back. Does anyone know what the latest is on this? Is it truly the hot new thing?

Thanks

Jackie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:30 AM

Spyware Detector is a rogue program, do not download or install it!

I suggest you follow the free security software recommendations and advice here.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Could they have been referring to Spyware Doctor?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MsJackie

MsJackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Many thanks Someones and quietman7. Sorry for not responding before: have just gone thru the uber-stress of a house move and this is my first time logging back on, only to find out that I've had one malware replaced with another. Bloody great!!

Here we go again: does anyone know how to get SD off? The guy who told me about it downloaded the free thing and then told me to buy it as soon as I could so it was already on my machine when I was talking to you about it.

I think I'm going to go to another mate to try to do the antivirus/malware stuff you suggest. I'm too much of a non-geek to be able to do this sensibly and I need these probs to stop once and for all. I'm so over computer probs right now! Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

How to uninstall PC Tools Spyware Doctor
If you encounter problems with removal, contact PC Tools Support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users