Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i type and address into ie and nothing happens for a minute

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigdogrod

bigdogrod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

hi all, just joined up, hopefully you all can figure this one out... it's got me stumped..

when i type a web site address (say yahoo.com) into the address bar of internet explorer and press enter.. nothing happens for over a minute and a half.. then the page displays normally.. this happens for every address i type in.. even ip addresses..

if i save the site to may favorites, then click on it, the page will display instantly..

this is happening on 2 of my 4 computers and i'm afraid it will spread to the others.. 1 is a laptop, and 1 is a desktop.. the only thing the 2 computers have in common are the operating ssytem (win xp home) and that i've recently upgraded my spy sweeper software, and also updated windows with the latest patches.. i don't remember all the numbers tho

i've run anti spyware and anti virus several times, and all have come up empty..

my anti spyware software..

spy sweeper
spy hunter
microsoft anti spyware
aol anti spyware
hijack this
ad aware
spy bot search and destroy

anti virus
norton

i've also tried ie fix and winsock -something or other- fix

still nothing

i'be tried uninstalling all the latest stuff including all the microsoft updates and spy sweeper

still the same problem

i'm not getting a dns or 404 error.. (somebody told me that means a more serious problem), and i don't think it's related, but the laptop has a battery charging problem... the battery monitor says it's charging the battery, but if you unplug the ac power the laptop shuts off, this isn't happening on the desktop (obvoiusly.. no battery) so i'm not sure if it's related

i'd like not to have to format the hard drives.. the desktop is running a dual boot system, and has autocad on it that's not supposed to run (according to autocad), so i'd like to not mess with that

i've also tried running the sfc scannow thing and that doesn't work

any help would be greatly appreciated

bdr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:25 AM

When you type an address into IE, it prepares your computer by firing up any idle drives (including optical drives) in case you call something from these areas. An inventory of these drives is loaded into memory. If you have minimal Ram or a smallish swap file this could possibly slow the response. Have you done a chkdsk/defrag lately? Cleaned out your temp files?

Run Ccleaner and clean up the junk files and see if that helps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 bigdogrod

bigdogrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:37 PM

leurgy:

thank you.. that's the most interesting answer i've gotten.. i asked over on help.com (cnet) and all they told me (repeatedly) was that it must be spyware ..

come to think about it... when my computer gets unplugged from a/c power, and instantly shuts off, it runs scandisk at the beginning, and i've seen something about the size of several (like 3 screens worth) temp files being the wrong size(i don't remember the exact wording)

maybe there's something in there..

would this have an effect on the ie favorites tho? all my links work fine when i click on them there..

bdr

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

No, when you click a link in your Favourites IE has no need to prepare the drives to be searched, it just goes there.

Those mis-reported temp files are likely the problem. Find scandisk.log. That file will tell you what those temp files are and you can then delete them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users