Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bkfraiders7

bkfraiders7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

I guess I should specify my setup before asking any questions.

I have 2 wireless routers in my home currently. One is a Linksys and one a Buffalo. Both running DDWRT. The Linksys is a base that has a connection to my office computer, Xbox, and Modem. The other is in my room and serves as a repeater (wirelessly).

Now, my problem. Sometimes (wow, such as right now) when I try to connect to them they show up as (2) or (3) behind them..and sometimes both. It annoys me because when it does this I have no internet connection. Such as sometimes it will show as Repeater 3 (sometimes 2) and have no internet connection, while sometimes it will connect to Repeater and have it.

I have made sure the SSID of the two dont match as well. Is there a setting I missed?

Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Both aren't doing DHCP right?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

Can you provide a little more info on your wireless setup ? I'm a bit confused on how you have configured the "repeater" specifically. Are you using WDS ? You mentioned the SSID's do NOT match on the Base and Repeater... which is a bit odd if they are wirelessly connected. Screenshots of the wireless setup page from both routers would be nice.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

Have a read of this

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Thanks CD2, I've been using DD-WRT for years and never noticed the repeater capability coming down the pipe.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

They have a great section on how to set it up without WDS. This is the beginning link. I had no clue you could do it that easily.

#7 bkfraiders7

bkfraiders7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Have a read of this

Yep, thats how I did it. And yes both arent using DHCP.

Thats why i have no clue on whats going on lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users