Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a failed video card stop the Bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ben222

Ben222

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Ok.no1:Bought old pc with 2Ghz cpu with no HD
2.Used a wiped HD I have,and loaded an Ubuntu os on it
3.It ran well on the onboard video,but(and this may have been unwise-no firewall yet))I got the Linux drivers online loaded for the card
4.The video card(GeForce 128Mb) worked
5.Everything looking good,online maybe 30 minutes(I know,shouldnt have),then the desktop would erase things when I moved the cursor.
6.Restarted,and get only a black screen on monitor,even when I plug back into the onboard video.Now, everytime, I get a black screen.
7.Ok, now sometimes when I bootup,I hear nothing,and sometimes I hear the HD loading,with the lights on the panel.Seems to me that if it is a BIOS virus,it would never be able to load the HD.Oh, and I can't get to the BIOS by pressing delete,or can I,and just cant see it?I can press the start button and shut the computer down,which makes me think it gets stuck in the BIOS sometimes.
8.Can a video card failure cause something like this?Can it just be that?If so, how can i get back to the onboard video?......I know(Me, with pcs.I know enough to be dangerous,lol) that if it's a BIOS virus,it may be dead now,but I have seen some posts where people tried to clear the CMOS...anyway,any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:48 AM

well what video card you have, integrated or dedicated, doesnt make any difference security wise. Things I would do, first reset the CMOS (either by jumper or by removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in in 30 seconds) make sure the video card is seated properly and works (test it in another computer) check for any burn marks on the motherboard or leaking/bulging capacitors, and check your PSU, does it have enough power to run everything?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Ben222

Ben222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Thanks,patriot.Removing the battery fixed it(running on the 32M onboard now),now I need to solve whether it was a driver issue,or if the PSU is enough for this.It is just a 280 watt.

Edited by Ben222, 24 February 2010 - 07:52 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

whats the exact model of the video card, and how many amps do you have on the +12v rail?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users