Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC no longer shows USB connections in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:40 PM

For some reason my PC no longer shows my usb connection on "My Computer". When I plug a flash drive into it or my mp3 player it no longer seems to show up. It was fine just a week ago.

Any suggestions??

Thank!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

hey Plaz,

I have seen some similar issues over the last couple weeks. Did the problem occur after the last batch of Windows XP upgrades? Does the computer recognize the drive being plugged in at all... does it make the "Hey, I found some new hardware sound?"

Curious here and partially seeking info too...

I am researching the problem and will post as soon as possible.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

Yeah I think it was after a XP update now that you mention it. When I plug my fashdrive into it I no longer hear that comforting "ding" noise upon connection. The flash drive does blink so I'm guessing its connected. I listen to alot of audio books and when I hook my player to the usb it shows on the mp3 player itself that it is communicating BUT my pc doesnt recognize it. Although when I download a book (net library and HIGHLY recommend it), media player does allow me to synchronize the book to the mp3 player.

Hope that helps!

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

Unplug all your USB devices and go to the Device Manager and remove the USB Controllers and restart your computer and let Windows reload the drivers from the driver cache.

Device Manager:
Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager>Click the + by USB Controllers>Click on each one and Remove>Restart

#5 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

When you say "remove each usb contoller" I just wanted to verify you mean to uninstall it. Just wanted to check before I screwed something up!

Thanks

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

When you say "remove each usb contoller" I just wanted to verify you mean to uninstall it. Just wanted to check before I screwed something up!

Thanks

Yes that is correct, then restart and Windows will reload them.

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hi plaz,

I did find one thing. I hope this helps you as well. If you have an HP printer connected to your computer, unplug it and restart the computer with your flash drive plugged in. You can also try it with your MP3 player. There seems to be some issue with the USB ports/ the printer/ and certain memory types. In my case it was a HP workstation - HP laserjet 1320 printer / and Kingston and San Disk flash drives. As long as the printer was plugged in, the flash drive could be recognized being plugged in, but would not work. This is also not an issue with XP drive management.

Good luck,

Rigel

*also note that the printer I speak of does not have flash card slots built in*

Edited by rigelslight, 13 September 2005 - 12:26 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users