Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

I have intermittent problems with my wireless connection.

I have a router (Netgear) ; run Winows XP and have Zone Alarm Firewall.

Diagnostics informs me that the wireless cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, or HttPS, or FTP.
a fault probably caused by firewallsettings. Check the settings.

Please, how do I do this? I tend to let ZoneAlarm deal with everything when it is installed!

I would be grateful for any help you can offer.

My thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Josh3

Josh3

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

You can do this by opening control panel, then either windows firewall and/or windows defender depending on which windows computer you have. This is just one of the firewalls you have. If using something like Norton or McAfee those will also have a firewall blocking somethings. The last firewall I know of would be in your router. You have to connect to your router via internet to access this one.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Go into ZA and delete all the exceptions. Then watch what you click.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thank you for your advice,

Josh3: Windows Firewall is switched off. I do have Windows Defender but cannot see where a firewall is listed here.

CaveDweller2 : You advise: "Delete all the exceptions". What would these be, please?

I run the Zone Alarm Free version.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

When you click Block or Allow, these are building a list. That list are the exceptions.

I am having a hard time finding any info on ZA Free. But have a look in ZA Program Control -> Programs and see if anything that has to do with surfing the web is in there. You just need to look in the settings to see if you blocked something. Try the Help section of the program.

Personally I think running a firewall on a PC behind a router is not needed but that is me.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

Thank you again, CaveDweller2. I'll certainly have a look at the Programme section.

I expected to find a Help reference but there may be a Zone Alarm Forum.

.Bleeping Computer has not let me down yet!

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

It seems like there is so little support for the Free version. This may be by design. Perhaps asking in the ZA forum.

And just FYI, letting something that can stop your PC from functioning correctly "handle" stuff without your knowledge is a bad idea.

#8 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

letting something that can stop your PC from functioning correctly "handle" stuff without your knowledge is a bad idea.

: CaveDweller2

I heartily agree. I'll check out Zone Alarm Forum and if someone comes up with a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users