Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ets

ets

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

I am learning and would like know more so that I can surf the internet without getting stucked!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

There are several very good Tutorials on computer security and best practices here at BC. Start with those.

A safe computer is one that has layered protection. A firewall, an anti-virus, and several good anti-spyware applications are part of the solution. I would probably add that using any browser but Internet Explorer is a very important part of securing your computer.
A safe computer is one that has a cautious user. Many problems can be traced to either slovenly security settings, failure to keep up with security patches, or utter abandon when downloading pretty/fun/helper applications from dubious sources.
In addition to reading the tutorials about malware and it's prevention, taking some time to read some of the threads in the forums will be an education in itself.
The good thing is that if you run into problems or questions, help is just a post away.

Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 deerslayer

deerslayer

• Members
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

:thumbsup: Hey ets, and :flowers: to bc!
nice to have you in our comunity,
Deerslayer :trumpet:
When I was born, I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half!!!
Posted Image
signature done by EFIZZER!!!
If you're ever in the nut house, look me up.
~Deerslayer

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! ets.

Good Luck,
yanowhiz