Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COUPLE OF PROBLEMS I NEED HELP WITH

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shyredone

shyredone

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

I am now virus free. It was the AVG making it run slow so I took it off and put Advast on. Couple of questions though. Do I need to have windows firewall on or off? It is also say "embedded security is not initalized. Do you know what that means and what I need to do? I know it has something to do with the HP Protect Tools Security Manager but that's about all I know...lol. Also the fan on the bottom of my laptop is making noise, do you think it is lose from that guy working on my laptop or could it be going out? I really appreciate your help and your patience.
Shyredone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merryann

merryann

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hello.

Hello. Shyredone,
I wish I could help you with your issues. I do fix a lot of problems on my own comupters but I had no experience with the issues you are having. It could be that when they workd on your computer they may have done
something to cause the fan to make noise. If it worked fine before then I would suspect they may have caused a problem. I would contact the person who worked on it and explain your problem. Also you can make sure the
computer is not gettng to hot. They need enough ventilation . If the fan is running a lot that may be one problem.

I don't use the windows fire wall because I use Norten 360 for my computer security. I wish you luck in
finding a solution to your issues.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hello,

I'm moving this to the AV forum for you.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

I can only help with one of your issues, the firewall one. If you do not have any other firewall, then yes, you absolutely need to turn the Windows firewall on.

Personally, i do not feel that is enough protection unless you are running Vista or Windows 7 but many people feel that the XP firewall is good enough. I want more protection than it offers so I use a third-party firewall so I have outbound protection, which the XP firewall does not have.

I use ZoneAlarm Antivirus/firewall which I paid 30 bucks for but there are many free ones out there that others seem to like. Comodo is suppose to be a good firewall and should work fine with the antivirus program you are using. If you go with that one and want to use the antivirus program you have, when you install it, just uncheck the box to install the antivirus program so that it won't install. Their antivirus program seems to be good to so you could just uninstall the program you are currently using and use that one. ZoneAlarm also offers their firewall for free and I think there are a couple of others but I cannot think of them right now.

Edited by Stang777, 23 February 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#5 shyredone

shyredone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks guys for your help and thanks OB for moving it to the right forum. I wasn't sure.
Shyredone

#6 Grey__Wolf

Grey__Wolf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

I would second Stang777's Comodo Firewall suggestion, I've read its very good and I use it. It's ok not to use the Window's firewall as long as you use some other firewall. Always have a firewall running to protect your computer.

With the fan on your laptop, without seeing it I couldn't tell what it is for sure. However if the guy who worked on it forgot to put a screw back in, it could be that its loose and making the noise, or it could be clogged up with dust or dirt and just need a clean (unless you are sure absolutely sure you know how to do this, let a technician do it), or as you suggested it could be failing. Either way the best solution would be to take it to a qualified technician, not the same one as before just to make sure it wasn't him/her.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

If you could give a better description of the fan noise, it would help
Is it just getting louder, like the speed is increasing?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 shyredone

shyredone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Well I cleaned it with my car vacumn hose and it seems to be fine now. Thanks guys for all the help. I would be totally lost without the forum!
Shyredone

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I cleaned it with my car vacumn hose

Seeing how it is obviously overheating you need to do one more thing
Go to an office supply store or best Buy and get a can of compressed air
Insert the nozzle up inside the vents, bottom/side, and give it a couple of blasts
I'll guarantee there's more in there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users