Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verifying the DMI Pool Data!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

I recently built my own PC. I have a I7-920 CPU, W7, 6GB of RAM, Western Digital 1TB HD, Gigabyte Motherboard. I am getting this message after I see the Motherboard Logo screen that says Verifying the DMI Pool. It hangs there for 10-15 sec and looks like it is checking for all the devices in the machine. I am assuming that this is not normal. Is there a way to not have the PC do this check. I did some online research, but there was so many things that it could be that I thought I would put it on the forum. Is it related to a setting in the Bios. Suggestions would be appreciated. Than

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:40 AM

Sounds like a hardware setup issue. See:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...-pool-data.html

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:59 AM

Strip everything down to the CPU, RAM, hdd, and video card.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

Have you done anything in the BIOS outside the normal startup procedure? Have you reset the BIOS to the default settings? Have you tried resetting the CMOS or replacing the battery? Does the computer hang during the check for more than a few seconds?

3939.png

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

I have tried to use normal safe settings in the Bios as well as optimized settings. it hangs at DMI Pool while it is verifying the PCI devices for around 5-10 sec. Is there a chance that this is okay and a part of the machine's loading process. I am just worried that it is something else related to my hardware or connections. What kind of battery does my motherboard have as I don't see it ( I will look in the motherboard booklet). Thanks for the tips

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

I have tried to use normal safe settings in the Bios as well as optimized settings. it hangs at DMI Pool while it is verifying the PCI devices for around 5-10 sec. Is there a chance that this is okay and a part of the machine's loading process. I am just worried that it is something else related to my hardware or connections. What kind of battery does my motherboard have as I don't see it ( I will look in the motherboard booklet). Thanks for the tips

Did you try my suggestion?

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

cryptodan, What exactly do you mean by stripping everything down. Does my motherboard have the traditional CMOS battery as I could not see it. How do I reset it. The manual talked about touching two small wires which will reset it. The GPU won't come out and it is a little difficult to maneuver with it in. What exactly does the DMI Pool hang mean. Is some component not connected properly. is it going to do any harm to my system if this message continues. Thanks for your help.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

Im saying only have the bare essentials in the computer. The motherboard, RAM, CPU, Video Card, and Hard drive.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

According to the net....

DMI or DesktopManagement Interface is a layer of abstraction between system
components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an
extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this
information to the operating system. The pool data is the information. In short, when the
BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the
operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error.
Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be
stuck.

What is the exact model of your motherboard? There should be instructions on clearing the CMOS. I found this here, one of the posts may help.

Edited by DJBPace07, 26 February 2010 - 10:53 PM.

3939.png

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for your help. Is there anyway that the message verifying the DMI Pool message is actually a thing that is normal. I know some times you see a whole bunch of writing on some computer start up. My GPU is absolutely stuck in place and makes it tough to maneuver in the case. My Motherboard is http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboar...?ProductID=3277

GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.7)

My next two steps are to clear the CMOS and strip it down like cryptodan Said to do. Look forward to the next step.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

My next two steps are to clear the CMOS and strip it down like cryptodan Said to do. Look forward to the next step.

Follow my advice. It will better for you to understand what component is causing the hang.

#12 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

cryptodan,

I will definitely try your suggestion. I am not in any hurry right now as I don't think I am doing any harm to my system( I think) and I am not a deadline to fix someone else's PC. I will let you know when I have tried your suggestion.

#13 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

A BIOS update might help.

#14 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

I did a Bios Update, but that didn't do anything to solve the problem. I tried to boot with just the bare essentials in the computer and it still gave me the DMI Pool Hang error. Besides my PC taking 10 more sec to load there does not seem to be anything wrong with getting this message. Thoughts.

#15 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

Your situation is a little different in that your PC is not hanging when this message appears but continues OK after 15-20secs.
This would indicate some hardware config that is taking a while but is eventually resolved so I'd suggest checking all your connections, changing cables one by one etc.
Other than that I found a site which suggested the following (along the lines of cryptodan's suggestions):
"1.Try to find the option "Clear DMI pool Data" in your BIOS. If it's available set it to 'Enabled', save your BIOS settings and reboot to see if it fixes the hang. After a succesfull boot, the option normally reverts to disabled automatically
2.Try to clear the CMOS. This is mostly done with setting a jumper on your motherboard. (check your motherboard manual for the exact instructions)
3.Try to remove all components from your motherboards expect the ones that are absolutely necessary: eg. the CPU, Memory, Video card and a boot device Floppy disk or CDROM/DVD). If you can successfully boot now, the next step is to see which of the components you've removed is the culprit, by adding them back one by one"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users