Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jshamley

jshamley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

My harddrive crashed and my video card went wacky. So I had to buy new stuff, it sucked and it still sucks. I got Windows 7 for xmas and was excited to try that, cause I dealt with the nightmarish mish mash of computer software that is Windows Vista. Now I have a brand new hard drive, video card and Windows 7...this computer is going to kick butt!

NOPE

It is slow...did I buy the wrong video card, harddrive, or should I throw the whole damn thing in a river? At least I have a decent screen I guess?

Here is what I have:
Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB RAM (3GB useable - why do I have 4 if only 3 can be...I digress, nevermind)
ATI Radeon HD 4300 video card
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz (makes sense?)
Western Digital Green (yay environment!) 500GB Hard Drive

All of the drivers are up to date and windows update is current...etc, etc. The machine was built through Dell (this is why I suggest a river) about 2 years ago. Is there something I can do without having to spend more money? Or should I take it to the PC store and let them charge me 2 bills to blow out my fans?

Thanks for listening and any help that you may provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

When you installed the new Western Digital Hard drive, did you set the jumper on the back of the drive?

Where did you set it to?

What was this machine originally? ( Dell what model )

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 jshamley

jshamley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

I did not change the jumpers on the HD when I installed it, I can check to see what they are set to when I get home this evening. I will also look up the original model of the PC. Thanks!

#4 jshamley

jshamley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

the computer was originally a Dell Dimension E520. thanks for the help

#5 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

4GB RAM (3GB useable - why do I have 4 if only 3 can be...

I read about a patch to fix this issue, I just did a quick search online for it this was what came up FIIRST Not sure if that helps i didnt read it all,,, thats as far as your memory issue goes but as for things being slow it could be the hard drive as TechX said it could be neurmorous other things as well, Maybe try running a program to help you get the max performance from your machine like tune up utilities 2010. Good luck
JRockZ

Edited by JRockZ, 23 February 2010 - 10:19 PM.

JRkZ

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

It's normal for 32-bit system to use only 3GB of RAM.
If you want to use more, you need 64-bit.

What exactly is slow?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 ryan22158

ryan22158

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

You CPU is terrible. It does the job, but a D core is the lowest of the low for dual core technology. I would check the socket and see if you could upgrade to a better core. If you are looking to save some money you could eve go for a better core with a lower clock and still be better off.

As someone mentioned before you have a 32-bit OS it can only read 3GBs of RAM. Get a 64 bit OS and that will fix it.

I found the CPU clock thing a little weird when I started beta testing Windows 7 last year. That number in parentheses is the actual clock; the one that is not is the cores factory clock. I had to up the CAS on my RAM so it would clock to 1066, it was stuck at 800. My CPU was clocked at 2.33 now it is slightly higher at 2.34. It makes sense that Dell would underclock processors just a little for stability issues.

There is an explanation for everything, so just ask?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

You CPU is terrible. It does the job, but a D core is the lowest of the low for dual core technology. I would check the socket and see if you could upgrade to a better core. If you are looking to save some money you could eve go for a better core with a lower clock and still be better off.

As someone mentioned before you have a 32-bit OS it can only read 3GBs of RAM. Get a 64 bit OS and that will fix it.

I agree with the above statements wholeheartedly.

I found the CPU clock thing a little weird when I started beta testing Windows 7 last year. That number in parentheses is the actual clock; the one that is not is the cores factory clock. I had to up the CAS on my RAM so it would clock to 1066, it was stuck at 800. My CPU was clocked at 2.33 now it is slightly higher at 2.34. It makes sense that Dell would underclock processors just a little for stability issues.

There is an explanation for everything, so just ask?

The above can cause adverse effects if your hardware cannot support it. The 1066 referres to the BUS of the RAM not the CAS. 1066 is 2*533, CAS referres to the timing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users