Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Security Policy not showing in Administrative Tools

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 412mark412

412mark412

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

I was reading a tutorial on how to make your computer lock like a network computer on start-up (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/xp-network-log-on-for-home-users/). One of the steps was to go to Start, point to Administrative Tools and click on Local Security Policy. However, the menu does not show the option "Local Security Policy". If there is any way I can show it please let me know. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

I think that...if you read that tutorial carefully...you will see that it states such exists for XP Pro, not Home.

Pro is designed for work/corporate use, while Home is not. The differences are few, yoo've come across one of them.

Louis

#3 412mark412

412mark412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

It specifically says "If this type of login is more comfortable for you to use and you would like to change your XP Home logon to do this as well, then please read on.". YanoNet (the person who created the article) said to contact him on the forum. Any other ideas, anyone?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

I think that...if you read that tutorial carefully...you will see that it states such exists for XP Pro, not Home.

Pro is designed for work/corporate use, while Home is not. The differences are few, yoo've come across one of them.

Louis

The only difference is that Home cannot join domains so the IP Stack is a bit watered down so to speak.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

Google List

I just read that link...all I can say is...XP Home does not natively come with group policy and that is what is referred to in the tutorial. The tutorial is incorrect in that respect. I see that it was written 5 years ago and I know that some Pro users assumed that Home had group policy also...but such assumptions were incorrect.

Regardless of what it says, Home does not have group policy.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_f...ows_xp_prof.htm

There are some who think it can be added successfully, but I don't see a lot of support for such notion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2010 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users