Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Block-Checker

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seal8

Seal8

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

I'm running Windows XP 2. Use Free versions of the following:
ZoneAlarm, AVG AntiVirus, Prevx Intrusion Detection, MS Anti Spyware, HijackThis, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Doctor.
Use Firefox 99.9 % of the time, but IE is still my default browser.

Since using FF seldom get any infections and if so they are limited to 1 or 2 tracking cookies.
All of a sudden in the last few days Spyware Doctor has turned up The trojan BlockChecker. No executable file only the following entries in my registry:
HKCU\Software\Windows\CV\Internet Settings\P3P\History\
bfast.com
bfast.com##
commission-junction.com
commission-junction.com##
fastclick.com
fastclick.com##
linksynergy.com
linksynergy.com##ack up first.
9ksrv.net
9ksrv.net##
On both occasions Spyware Dr. deleted each of these entries, but they came back a second time. I must be getting hit when I visit a site. Hard to believe I could get hit with all the software protection I've got. Also notice there is no .exe running or installed for Blockchecker nor is blockchecker anywhere on my system that I can find. Anyone know how this is picked up?
Also as that same registry address under History there must have been another 100-150 additional sites listed, some I never heard of but some are definately trackers. I deleted all listings under History. I made a back up of the registry first.
Can anyone tell me what all these listings are under History as wll as anything about BlockChecker. I'm usually very careful about the kind of sites I visit, but I must have visited a bad site.
Thanks for you help/input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Seal8

Seal8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

Well I found the solution/answer. :thumbsup: The Spyware Doctore listing these infections are all false positives. Those addresses are put in the above registry and in the Privacy/sites section of IE by Spyware Blaster, blocking those trojans/adware infections. I'm not sure why I didn't have this problem before, unless one of the updates added it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for posting the solution. This courtesy not only saves the time of members who wish to reply after doing some research, but also provides a solution to others who may have a similar problem in the future.

I wonder why, if you use FF almost all of the time, you do not make it your default browser?

Thanks for your forum participation,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

Found this through Google. Interesting.

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=1...&st=20&p=82759&

I wonder if the "Block Checker" that is mentioned, is one and the same.
Posted Image

#5 Seal8

Seal8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

Yes it is the same. It also apparantly works on AOL and other IM software. I became suspicious after doing a google search myself. Since I don't use any IM software and do not have them on my computer, I couldn't understand why there was no .exe.
Also, regarding FF as default. I've only been using it for a couple of months and thought I would try it for a while. Not sure what ramifications there are by making FF the default. There are some sites you can't get to via FF. Such as getting into your discussion forum. I had to go via IE before it would accept my ID and password:)
I'm a real believer in FF, since I hardly get any spyware anymore. That's why I was surprised when Spyware Dr. turned these up.
Best Regards,

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

Upon further "Googling" I came across more info. on Block Checker.

Now this linked info. is from trusted and known sites.

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.ph...pic=98304&st=15

http://jayloden.com/blockremove.htm
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

I have no problems getting into the forums with Mozilla or FF, so it must be your FF cookie/security settings. I would also add that there is a plug-in (extension) for FF (it's called IE View) that will allow you to call up IE from FF for those pages that require MS software:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...ication=firefox

Happy surfing!
Regards,
John

#8 pctools

pctools

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hi all,

I am from PC Tools, maker of Spyware Doctor.

Our latest update has resolved this issue with Block-Checker.

Please ensure you have performed Live Update with Spyware Doctor to ensure you have the latest update.

Should you still have further problems with Spyware Doctor, you can also contact us directly at: http://www.pctools.com/contact/support/guide/spyware-doctor/

Thank you.

Regards,

PC Tools

#9 Seal8

Seal8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

Just checked and ran Spyware Doctor with most recent updates and it still shows 12 Registry entries for Block-Checker. It is not fixed!!!!

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

Should you still have further problems with Spyware Doctor, you can also contact us directly at: http://www.pctools.com/contact/support/guide/spyware-doctor/

Thank you.

Regards,

PC Tools

Huh... I guess you could try and contact them at the link PC Tools has provided.
Or wait and see if he checks back in.

Good Luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

Suggest you Email with complete information.
Cheers,
John

#12 Seal8

Seal8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

Just ran Spyware Doctor again and it didn't pick up anything so it appears they have corrected the false negative regarding Block-Checker.
FYI

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:29 AM

Thanks seal8, for letting us know.

Have a good day! :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 07 September 2005 - 08:30 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:41 AM

For what its worth Block-Checker has a removal tool (not sure how effective that would be) and manual removal instructions on the website. I'll attach the manual removal instructions but be careful if you are not familiar with the registry.

Attached Files

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users