Hey everyone! I'm having issues with my HP Pavilion dv2000 series laptop.
My OS is Vista Home Premium SP2, with an nVidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630m display adapter
Recently I've been having problems with the display. These are intermittent and it seems to have no rhyme or reason to when/why this happens.
About every other restart, I get the following errors:
1) The taskbar will not display system icons for anything (network, power, etc) and when a program is opened that goes to the system tray (like VLC) it will not show up. Right clicking and selecting the properties of it, the selection boxes for everything except "clock" are greyed out.
2) Right clicking anywhere on the menu, desktop, or within an application like excel brings up the appropriate right click menu, but it will not disappear (heard this is a fairly common problem)
3) The system clock does not update in the taskbar. It freezes upon bootup, but if I double click on it, the popup shows the correct time.
4) This makes it impossible to update MalwareBytes. I thought I had a virus, but when I open MBAM and click on the update tab, it looks to be selected but I still just get the basic default screen.
5) Any program I open will not show up on the taskbar, so if I minimize it I have no way to get back to it...
6) When the computer is like this, none of the "seek" bars work properly in VLC or Windows Media/iTunes.
When it happens, ALL of these issues occur at once and no amount of rebooting solves it.
Things I've tried:
I've tried the trick on several different forums involving deleting the registry entry for the system icon tray and it didn't work.
I've disabled all the bells and whistles of the Vista appearance (classic start menu, unchecked everything involving "fade in/fade out menus/shadows" etc) under Performance options and it seems to have temporarily fixed problems #2 and #5.
In the past, the only way this problem could be fixed despite multiple restarts was to run Windows Update. For the first time this morning though, the problem happened and there were no updated to download/apply.
Anyone else having this problem or anything similar?
Thanks in advance, you guys all rock!
Edited by EurobeatJester, 23 February 2010 - 09:48 AM.