Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Throttle down Bandwidth hoggers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

Just wondering if it is possible for me to prevent my roomates from hogging all my internet bandwidth? I have controll of the router and there are 3 of us who connect wirlessley (sp)when all 3 of us our online it seems they hog the bandwidth and im the slow poke, One roomate is an upload freak and uses some program that take most of the day to upoload videos that he emails to many contacts at once. when i go into Network and sharing center and then view map i can see when both my roomates are connected howevere i cannot access thier computers and NONE of us share files folders or printers. Im not that great with networking stuff so i need an easy answer to this question please. Is there a way for me to throttle them down when they are online? when all three of us are online at once my internet speeds seem to be like the old dial up days and its beginning to get annoying,,, I want to slow them down a little bit maybe just enough that they will notice thier internet is slow but i dont want them to know im the one thats throttled them down LOL so any ides or suggestions would be much appreciated. If it matters we have an older net gear wirless G router.
Thanks
JRockZ
JRkZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

What you are asking has been asked on this board before and the answer is always the same: Not really possible with your standard home router.

What you are talking about has to be done at the distribution point of your network, which is the router. I have yet to see a reasonably priced home router with this ability. People have brought up QoS, Quality of Service, but it falls short of bandwidth throttling. You can mess around with it and it might help some.

To do what you are talking about there are two options: buy a more expensive router or build your own, with an old PC, 2 network cards and some router software, normally Linux based. The more expensive router I am referring to is the Cisco 871w it starts above $250 but eBay might have it for less. That router runs the Cisco IOS, which will do what you need.

The only other thing I could suggest is, get your own connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users