Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

drivers failing to load, and no sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:48 AM

Hello all,
I recently had to remove a trojan, with help from folks here, and also remove one windows update that preventing my machine from starting. Since then my dell laptop seems to be running fine, insofar as I can start up and do most everything except there is no sound at all. While trying to figure out what is wrong with the sound I ran dxdiag, and then the event viewer.

In dxdiag, the following: "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."
I should have Realtek HD audio... the codecs and legacy drivers are all functioning normally.

BUT there are several errors in event viewer.
Errors for acpiec: \Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

Also for DCOM: DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

And:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
APPDRV
eeCtrl
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
SPBBCDrv
SRTSP
SRTSPX
SYMTDI
Tcpip
vsdatant

How is my computer running if all this does not start? This is beyond a simple sound card, and so I am posting this here in case someone can offer suggestions.

Edited by rudi5, 23 February 2010 - 05:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Even if all appears to be fine in the event viewer the drive and various file s could still be corrupt. Using device manager unistall you sound card. restart the sysytem and install the latest driver from Dell for your sound card.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

Info on ACPIEC Warning

Louis

#4 rudi5

rudi5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Info on ACPIEC Warning

Louis

Well what do you know! I also have the fan speed issue that they mention! Thanks for the info Louis! Slowly this will be resolved... I hope...

#5 rudi5

rudi5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

I have tried uninstalling the sound drivers from Realtek, and also from the Drivers and Utilities disk that came with my Dell. No luck. What I get then is the driver listed with a nice black and yellow exclamation point next to it. Error = driver cannot start code 10.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Check out this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/

It is possible some of your system files were corrupted or damaged during the Malware removal. Your best resolution may be to do a repair installation to fix the corrupted files
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Check out this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/

It is possible some of your system files were corrupted or damaged during the Malware removal. Your best resolution may be to do a repair installation to fix the corrupted files

If that doesn't work then a fresh install would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users