Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about TCP/ IPv6

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

Hi everyone!

I am connecting my Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit computer to the internet through a network setup.

The network starts with a cable modem, from there it goes to a NetGear WGR614 v9 wireless router, to which my computer is connected through a 100 foot Cat.5 twisted pair networking cable.

I do get Internet access, but it takes almost 70 seconds then the network icon in taskbar changes to an exclamation mark for 10 seconds then it finally connects.

While doing research, I checked the settings for the network card.

In the network and sharing menu, I checked the Local Area Connection.

Under Local Area Connection Status. I see IPv4 connectivity = Internet.

Next to IPv6 connectivity I see (No internet connection)

When I click Properties in the Local Area Connection window I see the following protocols check marked.

Client for Microsoft windows
Qos Packet Scheduler
FIle and printer sharing
Internet protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Link-Layer topology discovery mapper I/O Driver
Link-Layer topology discovery responder

I have tried to do some research regarding IPv6 it is supposed to be a newer faster protocol according to Window's explanation of the protocol, I was figuring my on-board Broadcom ethernet adapter was failing, as I do have the latest drivers installed for it.

So I bought a new NetGear gigabit ethernet PCI adapter card, installed it and disabled the on-board card.

I am still getting the same results I got with the on-board card, it takes about 70 seconds to try to connect to the network, fails, then connects 10 seconds later and I still have no IPv6 Internet access.

Another computer on this network using Windows Vista connects within 10 seconds.

Another computer with Windows XP SP3 connects through a wireless USB Netgear WG111v3 adaptor. It connects to the router in 10 seconds or less.

I have retreived my computer's connection log, although the log read in notepad is full of random data garble I see a few lines where it shows several attempts are made to connect to the network.

This is one line from the log with the garble removed for clarity.

AddressAcquisition IP v 4 is OK, IPv6 (IP address) first unicast address is low health, but we don't have D H C P repairs for IP v 6, so we ignore this. Address Acquisition I P v 6 address configuration was invalid, executed I P v 6 auto-generation code. Address Acquisition 192.168.1.1 (gateway) is good.

Another line I found was this one.

NIC Specific Entry Point = 1 ; Net Connection Low Health diagnosis status 3 [DS_INDETERMINATE] HRESULT 0 [32 ms] description: There might be a problem with the " Local Area Connection " adapter.

The rest of the log still needs editing and respacing as it is still somewhat full of garbal data charicters ect.

I got the same results with 2 different ethernet adapters, 2 different set of drivers.

Any one have a clue about why IPv6 is not connecting but IPv4 is?

And anyone have a clue why my connection to the network on my Win 7 Machine is timing out?

Sorry for the long post trying to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 February 2010 - 11:26 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

IPv6 is not a faster protocol. Here is more info than you will ever need on the subject. The only part you need to really read is the second paragraph. It explains what it is and why it exists.

Unless your ISP uses IPv6 and you bought a router that uses IPv6 its never going to connect because it has nothing to connect to. So you can un-check it in the connection properties of your PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

I use my Ethernet card (NIC) only for internet. So I uncheck everything except Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). You do not need other things if you are using NIC only for internet through a router. You may need to leave your Firewall driver checked if you are using a 3rd party firewall like Agnitum Outpost etc.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Ok I can live without the IP v6 but I am still trying to resolve my issue with it taking taking 70 seconds to fail a wired connection, then an exclamtion point appears for 15 seconds before it finally says there is an internet connection. Please read my opening post for my setup's details.
Where as another computer using Windows Vista also "wired" connects within 10 seconds and no exclamation point.

I have gone to Network and sharing center.

Clicked connections

Then Diagnose.

It says troubleshooter could not identify the problem.

When I click detailed information the trouble shooter report says there are no issues detected.

There is a log under "details" called network diagnostics log.

It is named with a long string name like this 8CBFABEB-2F11-416F-B6AF-FAE2A7C7296E.Diagnose.0.etl

The log info inside is english, but it also contains a lot of jibberish as well, so posting any part of it here is senseless without editing it first and removing the double spaces between letters in the log and the data jibberish. So I am still attempting to edit the log so it is presentable to post here. I have removed the jibberish but I am still removing the triple and double spacing and trying to seperate the words which run together.

Otherwise it would look like this.

p
l - >6fPPTP00   @ cq@9N e t C o n n e c t i o n  g u i d = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ; p   p
l L >6fPPTP00   @ cq@9N e t w o r k D i a g n o s t i c s E n g i n e V e r s i o n 1 . 0  p
l Ll >6fPPTP00   @ cq@9C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : N e t C o n n

Is there way I can diagnose this issue? Web sites? freeware utilities? So I can Diagnose what the issue is?

Like I said I bought an PCI ethernet adapter thinking my on-board adapter was going bad.

My present adaptor's info is below.

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

No issues detected
Detection details

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Local Area Connection 2 driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.2.1127.2008
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netrtx32.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 13, 2009 8:46:34 PM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : RTL8169.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10ec&dev_8169&rev_10
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

I still have the following Protocols check marked under "Local Area Connection" Properties.

Client for microsoft windows
QoS packet scheduler
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4)
Link-layer topology dIscovery mapper I/O Driver
Link-layer topology discovery responder

I disabled the following:

File and printer sharing: as I am not sharing files or printers with another computer on the network.
Internet protocol Version 6 (TCP/IP v6): as it does not work.

Awaiting any replies and thanks in advance.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 February 2010 - 11:49 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

Does this happen when you boot up?

What happens if you type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then ipconfig /renew and hit Enter at a command prompt? Hoe long does that take?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Does this happen when you boot up?

Yes.

I will post an answer about doing the ipconfig/ release and ipconfig /renew results.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

What happens if you type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then ipconfig /renew and hit Enter at a command prompt? Hoe long does that take?

Okay I did ipconfig /release from the command prompt. The connection dropped.

All status in command prompt was cleared.

When I typed ipconfig /renew nothing happened for 70 seconds then the command prompt jumped into action and connection was reestablished.

I do not have a web account for hosting pics set up at the moment but I did save snippet clips on the command prompt windows.

Actually both before and after configurations are the same in ipconfig.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 February 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Here is the log from the detection diagnostics as best as I can edit it, some parts have single and double spacing in them, but I am going to post as it is as it's taking to long to edit the spacing out of the text.
So please excuse the mess this log is in as I know the words run together and are confusing to read where I haven't edited the text yet.

@tzres.dll,-112 @tzres.dll,-111{A5CF44DD-1137-47EF-A98B-E0ED543F2C76} C:\Windows\system32\NDF\{A5CF44DD-1137-47EF-A98B-E0ED543F2C76}-Session-02232010-1153.etl

NetConnection  guid={538D89DA-C3BC-4cd8-9CB8-214925C0C29E};

Network Diagnostics Engine Version 1.0

Cache Miss for HelperClass: NetConnection, ATTRIBUTES: guid={538D89DA-C3BC-4cd8-9CB8-214925C0C29E};

Added SQM session ID to the global property bag.

Automatically detected caller SID for global property bag entry.

Application ID was not supplied by caller, will not be available in global property bag.

Caller application is Windows\Explorer.EXE

ReproduceFailure not implemented by the entry point helper class.

Diagnose NetConnection (v1.0). LowHealth : initial state 0, ATTRIBUTES: guid={538D89DA-C3BC-4cd8-9CB8-214925C0C29E};

Property Bag: 'NetConnection' added property bag entry 'NICSpecificEntryPoint=1;

NetConnection LowHealth diagnosis status 3 [DS_INDTERMINATE] HRESULT 0 [16 ms] description: There might be a problem with the "Local Area Connection 2" adapter

NetConnection LowHealth hypothesis IpNeighbor modem or route, ATTRIBUTES: index=15; remoteaddr=192.168.1.1:0;

NetConnection LowHealth hypothesis Ippath DNS server, ATTRIBUTES: remoteaddr=192.168.1.1:0;localaddr=192.168.1.5:0;

NetConnection LowHealth hypothesis AddressAcquisition, ATTRIBUTES: index=15; flags=7; AddressFamily=2;

Cache Miss for HelperClass: IpNeighbor, ATTRIBUTES: index=15; remoteaddr=192.168.1.1:0;

Cache Miss for HelperClass: IpPath, ATTRIBUTES: remoteaddr=192.168.1.1:0; localaddr=192.168.1.5:0;

Cache Miss for HelperClass: AddressAcquisition, ATTRIBUTES: index=15; flags=7; AddressFamily=2;

Diagnose IpNeighbor (v1.0). LowHealth : initial state 0, ATTRIBUTES: index=15; remoteaddr=192.168.1.1:0;

IpNeighbor LowHealth diagnosis status 2 [DS_REJECTED] HRESULT 0 [3 ms] description:

D i a g n o s e I p P a t h ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : r e m o t e a d d r = 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 1 : 0 ; l o c a l a d d r = 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 5 : 0 ;

I p P a t h L o w H e a l t h d i a g n o s i s s t a t u s 2 [ D S _ R E J E C T E D ] H R E S U L T 0 [ 2 m s ] d e s c r i p t i o n :

D i a g n o s e A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : i n d e x = 1 5 ; f l a g s = 7 ; A d d r e s s F a m i l y = 2 ;

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 5 ( I P a d d r e s s ) i s g o o d .

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 1 ( g a t e w a y ) i s g o o d .

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 1 ( D N S s e r v e r ) i s g o o d .

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n N o i s s u e s f o u n d d u r i n g d i a g n o s i s , s e t t i n g P a s s t h r o u g h s o t h a t w e s t i l l d o h y p o t h e s e s .

AddressAcquisition LowHealth diagnosis status 5 [DS_PASSTHROUGH] HRESULT 0 [38 ms] description:

AddressAcquisition LowHealth hypothesis UCMHelper Class, ATTRIBUTES: In t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n L o w H e a l t h h y p o t h e s i s N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n L o w H e a l t h h y p o t h e s i s D h c p M o d u l e , A T T R I B U T E S : N o n e

C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : U C M H e l p e r C l a s s , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : D h c p M o d u l e , A T T R I B U T E S : N o n e

D i a g n o s e U C M H e l p e r C l a s s ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

U C M H e l p e r C l a s s L o w H e a l t h d i a g n o s i s s t a t u s 5 [ D S _ P A S S T H R O U G H ] H R E S U L T 0 [ 1 4 m s ] d e s c r i p t i o n : T h e r e m i g h t b e a p r o b l e m w i t h t h e n e t w o r k a d a p t e r " L o c a l A r e a C o n n e c t i o n 2 "

U C M H e l p e r C l a s s L o w H e a l t h h y p o t h e s i s N d i s H C , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

U C M H e l p e r C l a s s L o w H e a l t h h y p o t h e s i s E x t e n s i b l e M M H e l p e r C l a s s , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : N d i s H C , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

N D I S H e l p e r C l a s s D e v i c e N a m e : L o c a l A r e a C o n n e c t i o n 2

C a c h e M i s s f o r H e l p e r C l a s s : E x t e n s i b l e M M H e l p e r C l a s s , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

E x t e n s i b l e M M H e l p e r C l a s s r e t u r n e d t h e f o l l o w i n g m a t c h i n g a t t r i b u t e s : M e d i a M a n a g e r = " W i n d o w s . L A N " ;

S u c c e s s f u l l y l o a d e d e x t e n s i o n D o t 3 H e l p e r C l a s s .

D i a g n o s e N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

NetworkAccessProtection LowHealth diagnosis status 3 [DS_INDETERMINATE] HRESULT 0 [0 ms] description: The Network Access Protection (NAP) service on this computer is not running
This might limit access on networks that use NAP to verify that computers meet network requirements.

D i a g n o s e D h c p M o d u l e ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : N o n e

D h c p M o d u l e L o w H e a l t h d i a g n o s i s s t a t u s 2 [ D S _ R E J E C T E D ] H R E S U L T 0 [ 0 m s ] d e s c r i p t i o n :

D i a g n o s e N d i s H C ( v 2 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

n e t w o r k a d a p t e r N e t w o r k a d a p t e r L o c a l A r e a C o n n e c t i o n 2 d r i v e r i n f o r m a t i o n :

D e s c r i p t i o n . . . . . . . . . . : R e a l t e k R T L 8 1 6 9 / 8 1 1 0 F a m i l y P C I G i g a b i t E t h e r n e t N I C ( N D I S 6 . 2 0 )

M a n u f a c t u r e r . . . . . . . . . : R e a l t e k

P r o v i d e r . . . . . . . . . . . : M i c r o s o f t

V e r s i o n . . . . . . . . . . . : 7 . 2 . 1 1 2 7 . 2 0 0 8

I n f F i l e N a m e . . . . . . . . . : C : \ W i n d o w s \ I N F \ n e t r t x 3 2 . i n f

I n f F i l e D a t e . . . . . . . . . : M o n d a y , J u l y 1 3 , 2 0 0 9 8 : 4 6 : 3 4 P M

S e c t i o n N a m e . . . . . . . . . : R T L 8 1 6 9 . n d i

H a r d w a r e I D . . . . . . . . . . : p c i \ v e n _ 1 0 e c & d e v _ 8 1 6 9 & r e v _ 1 0

I n s t a n c e S t a t u s F l a g s . . . . . : 0 x 1 8 0 2 0 0 a
D e v i c e M a n a g e r S t a t u s C o d e . . : 0

I f T y p e . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6

P h y s i c a l M e d i a T y p e . . . . . . : 1 4

N d i s H C L o w H e a l t h d i a g n o s i s s t a t u s 2 [ D S _ R E J E C T E D ] H R E S U L T 0 [ 2 0 3 8 m s ] d e s c r i p t i o n :

D i a g n o s e D o t 3 H e l p e r C l a s s ( v 1 . 0 ) . L o w H e a l t h : i n i t i a l s t a t e 0 , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

D o t 3 H e l p e r C l a s s L o w H e a l t h d i a g n o s i s s t a t u s 2 [ D S _ R E J E C T E D ] H R E S U L T 0 [ 0 m s ] d e s c r i p t i o n :

R e c o n f i r m L o w H e a l t h s k i p p e d f o r ' U C M H e l p e r C l a s s ' , D S _ P A S S T H R O U G H s t a t u s u p d a t e d t o D S _ R E J E C T E D . , A T T R I B U T E S : I n t e r f a c e I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n r e t u r n e d R o o t C a u s e G U I D { 4 3 6 8 5 C 1 1 - 3 6 A 6 - 4 c 3 e - A 6 E F - E 2 B 5 F B 4 2 4 A 4 F } , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

N e t C o n n e c t i o n r e t u r n e d 0 r e p a i r s ( E _ N O T I M P L ) . , A T T R I B U T E S : g u i d = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n N o i s s u e s f o u n d , n o w o r k a r o u n d s r e t u r n e d .

A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n r e t u r n e d 0 r e p a i r s . , A T T R I B U T E S : i n d e x = 1 5 ; f l a g s = 7 ; A d d r e s s F a m i l y = 2 ;

N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n r e t u r n e d 0 r e p a i r s ( E _ N O T I M P L ) . , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

L e a f n o d e i s n o t c o n f i r m e d a n d d o e s n o t h a v e r e p a i r s . R e m o v e d f r o m t r e e . H e l p e r C l a s s : N e t w o r k A c c e s s P r o t e c t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : A d a p t e r G U I D = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

A f t e r r e m o v a l i t s p a r e n t n o d e i s a l e a f , w i l l c h e c k w h e t h e r i t s r e m o v a l i s n e c e s s a r y . H e l p e r C l a s s : A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : i n d e x = 1 5 ; f l a g s = 7 ; A d d r e s s F a m i l y = 2 ;

L e a f n o d e i s n o t c o n f i r m e d a n d d o e s n o t h a v e r e p a i r s . R e m o v e d f r o m t r e e . H e l p e r C l a s s : A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : i n d e x = 1 5 ; f l a g s = 7 ; A d d r e s s F a m i l y = 2 ;

A f t e r r e m o v a l i t s p a r e n t n o d e i s a l e a f , w i l l c h e c k w h e t h e r i t s r e m o v a l i s n e c e s s a r y . H e l p e r C l a s s : N e t C o n n e c t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : g u i d = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

L e a f n o d e a d d e d t o r o o t c a u s e l i s t . H e l p e r C l a s s : N e t C o n n e c t i o n , A T T R I B U T E S : g u i d = { 5 3 8 D 8 9 D A - C 3 B C - 4 c d 8 - 9 C B 8 - 2 1 4 9 2 5 C 0 C 2 9 E } ;

N o i n s t a n c e c o n f i r m e d , a n d n o w o r k a r o u n d s w e r e r e t u r n e d . T h e ' n o i s s u e s ' U I w i l l b e s h o w n .

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 February 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

I just want to add, I have used msconfig and disabled all startup and connection to my router is still 70 seconds.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

I am scratching my head as to what is causing this. Obviously it doesn't take 70 seconds for your PC and router to talk, you'd never surf anywhere. So something is causing the simple negotiation for IP address to take that long. What that could be has me at a loss.

How long has this been doing this?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

I am scratching my head as to what is causing this. Obviously it doesn't take 70 seconds for your PC and router to talk, you'd never surf anywhere. So something is causing the simple negotiation for IP address to take that long. What that could be has me at a loss.

How long has this been doing this?

On December 1 2009 I bought and installed Windows 7 Home Premium and installed the 32 bit edition, on the same day I setup a 100 foot Cat.5 networking cable (as I origionaly connected this machine through a wireless connection to the router) I connected the cat5 wire to port #2 on the router and the on-board Broadcom ethernet adapter on the machine, the windows 7 computer was properly set up and recognized by the router and had internet access, connection time was about 10 seconds at the most.

I am now using the wireless USB adapter on another computer using Windows XP Home edition with SP3.

In the last 3 weeks or so I've been noticing the little green circle over the network icon just sitting there spinning and spinning, then it changes to an exclamtion mark for 10 seconds showing "no interent access", then it suddenly disappears and it says "intrenet access"

I have the latest netgear firmware available for the router, I have switched the the cat5 wires around on the routers ports so my Win 7 machine is now port #1 of the routers inputs, the Vista machine is now port #2 same results (70 seconds of spinning circle, then exclamation mark, then finally a connection (this is on the win 7 machine only)

I have reset the Cable modem to which Comcast is the ISP, I have unpluged the router while all computers were off, re-powered the router on once the cable modem had reestablished contact
with Comcast's service and restarted each computer once the routers setup light went off. I always start my Windows 7 machine first, before starting the wirelessly connected Windows XP machine, then the wired Windows Vista last.

So basically in the beginning there was no problem. Now there is, as much as I like to believe it's the router, the Vista machine connects within 10 seconds or less while booting up, the wireless connection through the Netgear wireless adapter's smart wizard software scans and connects to the router within 10 seconds or less.

As much as I believed it was my built in ethernet adapter, I updated the drivers, uninstalled the adapter and reinstalled the latest drivers available from Broadcom Fast internet adapter's web site and even bought a new NetGear brand adapter and disabled the on-board thinking the on-board was going bad.

Same results, mind you though, I am on that computer right now, it does eventually connect.

I also checked everything under device manager, everything there is fine, no conflicts, no shared IRQs, only the on-board adapter showing that I disabled it manually.

I have to admit, I am stumpted too.

Awaiting any replies and thanks.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 February 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Ok problem solved.

Here is what I did.

I got brave and attempted something I used to do years ago with Windows 98 and Windows ME when things stopped working right.

While logged into Windows 7, I inserted my Windows 7 installation DVD, once the INSTALL option was on screen, and I clicked INSTALL.

It gave me two options.

1-- install a new copy

2-- upgrade.

I realize the full install wipes the previous installation of windows, so I tried the upgrade.

Even though I already have Windows 7 installed it allowed me to follow through with the upgrade.

It even saved everything as if I was upgarding from Windows Vista.

At some point it asks for the Windows 7 Product key, so if any one attempts this make sure you have your product key!!

During the final stages of the upgrade where the operating system was trying to go on line for activation, a Window popped up saying .Net Framework client 4 is corrupted please do not restart until

repair is finished making repairs!

Once this was finished it asked for a restart to finalize the repair.

Upon restarting the computer, my Local Area Connection Icon connected to my network instantly and re-activated Windows 7.

So basically a re-install worked to resolve my issue and all my programs, shortcuts and features are still totally intact and fully functional!!!

I might add I did the upgrade from the DVD while logged into Windows, this was not a boot to DVD repair and it worked!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 February 2010 - 12:18 AM.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Did you mean .NET Framework?

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Did you mean .NET Framework?

Yes I did, sorry just came back to correct that typo, I wrote it down quickly when I seen the repair flash across the screen, as I was amazed as to how many corrupted files it found.

So yes the correct name is .Net Framework 4 client.

Now my connection to the LAN is 5 seconds, not 70. :thumbsup:

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Well I'm glad one of us thought of repair install lol.

I would have never thought that .NET Framework would have caused that. I'm curious now is running sfc /scannow would have fixed it?

Anyway, glad you fixed it =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users