Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old xp computer keyboard works fine but when on boot menue it dont work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 balkrish999

balkrish999

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

hi i have a old computer , it works fine right now , but i had to get it repaired over 5 times and i had to pay the guy around 20 each time , the pc works right now

but

there i a problem when i want to boot a cd xp from the pc ( install xp agin) the keyboad works fine when the pc is on like on word ( its a usb keyboard) but when my pc crashes i and i want to to to the boot menue and i add my cd in it says' press a key to begin' bang my key board just doesnt work , press all the buttons and none of them work

my pc is working fine right now but i would like to take precuations so i cant boot the cd my self , why dosnet my keyboad work i tired another usb keyboard aswell and same problem

if possible help thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:31 AM

I think you will probably need to temporarily connect whichever alternative keyboard (PS/2 or AT) the system has input for, enter the BIOS setup as indicated on the boot screen, and enable an option which is commonly called Legacy USB. The system should then respond to the USB keyboard prior to Windows starting.

This often occurs on older systems when the CMOS data has been reset back to BIOS default values. Make sure the CMOS backup battery hasn't gone flat, or it is likely to happen again.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

Your BIOS doesn't support Legacy USB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users