Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tablet PC Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

I did not have a huge amount of time to fully check out the computer in question. She is getting virtual memory too low warnings when attempting to multitask pretty much anything.
Sitting idle with task manager open shows the following.
17-25% CPU usage.
PF Usage history maxed out showing its using 6.43GB

108 Total processes

System Specs:
Toshiba Portege
Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 (Version 2002) Service Pack 3
Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6Ghz
4GB Ram (2.99 recognized)

There are only 5 processes over 20MB of usage the rest go on down the line in size just lots of small ones. So does it sound as if there are too many "startup"/quicklaunch programs installed?

Any reason why Tablet Edition runs heavy on memory?

I forgot to check to see where the hard drive was on storage.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:47 PM

108 processes seems way too many. Too many programs running the background may be the cause of the problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

I guess I could go through it and clear out unused programs that may have been installed with a quicklaunch option.

I do remember now when I went to msconfig the startup tab had a pretty significant list of crap in it. Mine currently only has like 6 things in it.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

Also, CPU should not "idle" at 25%. What processes are using the most CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Took a while to get back to the computer with the issue.

Just idling with task manager the only processes using CPU were:
System Idle: 73-80 (swinging back and forth with System process)
System: 19-30
No other processes recording lingering CPU usage.

I have new info on the PF Usage.
I noticed when I looked in the performance tab that the PF Usage was only about 550MB. 10-15 minutes of task manager/msconfig browsing I decided to look at the Performance tab again and noticed the PF Usage had gone up to 870 or so. It was climbing pretty steady at 1MB per 1-2 seconds. She confirmed that after watching a TV episode or browsing for and hour it would start to give her virtual memory warnings.

Her start up tab is pretty full of junk. Again I don't know exactly what start up items are needed for it to function more reliably. I was going to disable all of them to clear up the Start tab to just the basic things to run the computer but I did not have time today. She has 62 startup items so I assume one of these is causing a problem.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Try using Process Explorer to get more info on the CPU usage.

Also I would do a few scans to rule out Malware:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

The two programs that Budapest has posted are IMHO very good. I have use them for years. Run a quick scan and I would suggest running a deep scan after the quick scan is done. Some times things are hiding deep into your system. It takes longer but it's worth it. If it was me I would make sure my computer was clean before I started turning things off. At the top of this page and every page on this site there is Start Up List, I would look through it. Remember that GOOGLE is you friend to look up things your not quiet sure about.. If after all of that and you still have questions please get back to us.
P/S get back to us of what you have found and what you have done, this will help me and others.

#8 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and only found 2 registry infections.
I ran process explorer and it didn't give me any better insight than the task manager. Still using the same amount of CPU between System and System Idle Process. No other specific processes were using any memory.

I disabled all the startup tasks in Startup tab in msconfig and it boots a bit faster and still functions as a table just fine. It is still steadily using up PF History about as fast as before. Take about 15 min to shutdown also.

I was going to take the computer back to her and just uninstall programs she doesn't use and see if one of them is the cause.

I don't know if this helps, kind of at a loss on this one. It seems like a fresh reinstall would be nice but she can't find her disks. Not sure where I would get tablet edition and if she still has the CD key for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users