Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I the only one or does there seem to be a new wave of fake alert viruses?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xxldave

xxldave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

I got more calls last week for fake alert infections than I have seen in a while. Even worse is that the removal processes appear to be not working anymore. I took in 3 systems last week that needed a complete wipe. Running all the usual's still leaves an infected machine. Starting to get BSOD accessing safe mode across many clients.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

Yes the malware writers have been busy developing new techniques and more sophisticated programs. See our Virus, Spyware, & Malware Removal Guides which shows how often new rogues are added almost daily.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've had people who get the fake viruses....they have no idea how they get the problems. I don't know what to tell them. They complain that their anti-virus scanner hasnt caught these infections.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Well worth the read;

How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected

#5 Trident18

Trident18

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

I can speak from personal experience. I used to see these things all the time and had no problem avoiding them. Or they'd get caught in my filters or A/V. But this last one.... has proven resilient.
I thought I had it beat on my own when I came here the second time. I've been fighting it for three days now with the help of one of the helpers [mod?].
I'm learning a lot. Wish I didn't have to.

#6 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm wondering how people get things like antivirus 2010 etc.? They keep saying they didnt do anything? Is there anything to actually stop it? Seems like if people have malwarebyte installed, at least they can go into the safe mode and scan.

#7 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

I understand that a hacker can "hijack" advertising space. What I don't understand is how the fake-trojan gets from the advertising space to the computer. One time I think something was downloading to my computer and I calmly when into the task manager and killed it. If they can come in via old unsecured programs, I guess someone should make sure all programs are updated. It's not that I want to hack because I don't. I just want to be able to explain what happens and how to prevent it.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected. That should explain the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.

#9 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I read that however it didn't really answer my question.

#10 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

it seems like when someone goes to a website, where hackers hijack the advertising bar, someone who have to click on the bar. It happened once to me that a downloaded started automatically unless I accidently clicked on something. I'm just baffled on how it happens. Would it happen with Windows 7? Foxfire or Explorer 8. Does it happen with ie6? I'll probably never find the answer. Can it come through an outdated Java?

The most common expression is "I don't know how it happened."

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

Would it happen with Windows 7? Foxfire or Explorer 8. Does it happen with ie6? I'll probably never find the answer. Can it come through an outdated Java?

Yes, infections can spread by malware writers and attackers exploiting unpatched security holes or vulnerabilities in older versions of popular software such as Adobe, Java, Windows Media Player and the Windows operating system itself. Software applications are a favored target of malware writers who continue to exploit coding and design vulnerabilities with increasing aggressiveness.

#12 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

A freind of mine just purchase a computer with Vista 64 bit...all the software is new except for software for a Canon Digital Camera. He got a fake alert attack just the other day. It must have been xp antivirus 2010 or one of the other ones. He has no idea how he got it. Unless a hacker got in through his digital software. Is that possible? Unless he's not telling me the whole story.

Edited by pouringreign, 25 February 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#13 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

I am helping someone setup there computer and for the first time I saw a program come on and want to scan my computer for viruses. I am sure that I didn't do anything to cause this. In fact I have Avast Pro Antivirus, Zone Alarm Firewall set up. When I saw it I knew it was phoney and I closed it. The problem is that if someone sees this they panic and probably allows it in their system. All software is up-to-date. Protection is up-to-date. So I don't know where it could have come from. They have old favorites that may have been pointed to bad websites. I can get rid of their favorites.
Any clue what happened? It was sort of weird because when someone said "they don't know where it came from", I half beleived them. If I panicked and allowed it to scan, I think it would have put viruses in their computer.

There must be something around to squish these spammers.

#14 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

It may not be 'phoney' pouringreign. Some of this 'drive-by' malware will exploit any weakness in your browser security for a start. There has been a lot in the last few months. The 'alert' that you had may still be lurking on your pc. I suggest as a precaution that you go to the Spyware Removal forum and see if any of it applies or is similar to what you experienced.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#15 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Maybe I should put in foxfire instead of ie 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users