Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 megamario3

megamario3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

Ive had this external hdd for a while 4 years and it gave me problems about 3 years ago and i reformated it and now it has started to give me problems again. well i had it in the case at it would just start messing up like i would see the folder that i know information is in and click on it and there would be no files so i would just turn it on and off and it would work again. well just a few days ago it did it and i turned it on and off and then i tried to click the f drive and it said "F:\ is not accessible
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" so im pretty sure its a failing hdd but i still know the information is still on there so i would like to get it off before i throw it away. So i go recuva and it worked extremly well it found over 20000 files it even found files from before i reformated it the first time but i did not save any of the files because i wanted them in folders and i did not feel like organizing them i was going to do that as a last resort. So i know the files are on there i just need to fix it somehow and with the expert advice from bleepingcomputer i believe i can. So what do yall thank (bleepingcomputer posters) Any tips or tricks? Just use recuva or some other program better to get the files off and just throw it away or what? If you have any question or need me to run any test or programs or anything etc. etc. just ask i will take any help. Ok well thanks a ton hopefully from my mistakes others will learn haha ok well talk to you later Thanks!

Edited by megamario3, 22 February 2010 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Files which are corrupted/unreadable...MS guidance is to run chkdsk /f. I would supplant that with the suggestion to run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console.

As for when you decide to save data files...that's your call. If it were me, I would salvage them before attempting any diagnostics but that's me.

Chkdsk /r doesn't overcome every instance of file, file system, or hard drive trouble...but it's a good start point, IMO.

If I ran into any of those "unrecoverable errors" while running chkdsk /r, then I run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on tha drive.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

One thing to remember with a hard drive in an enclosure...it could be the enclosure itself which is the problem, rather than the hard contained within.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users