Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 320GB HD Compatibility Issues?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iamz3r0

iamz3r0

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

I just bought a Western Digital 320GB Caviar Blue EIDE (PATA) Hard Drive yesterday, and I can't seem to get it to boot. Windows installs perfectly fine until it has to reboot and complete the installation from the hard drive. After skipping booting from the disc, I get a "Disk Read Error". I've tried using the Data Lifeguard Tools boot disc from the WD site, but all that does is format (reset to zeros) and check the drive for errors.

I'm almost 100% sure it's due to my older Compaq Deskpro (P600/10/128, manufactured in 1998 or so) not being able to support the drive, but I was wondering if there was a way I could update the BIOS using a CD and make it all run again. *Hopes for a miracle*

I'm using the "Try before installing" version of Ubuntu to gain access to the internet, so I won't be able to run win32 programs, but I can create boot discs if I need to.

My specs:

Compaq DeskPro P600/10/128/NTC
WD 320GB Caviar Blue HD (WD3200JBRTL)
Ubuntu (Linux-based, obviously)
Internet-Ready
728MB RAM

Edited by iamz3r0, 22 February 2010 - 09:02 PM.

!@#$ this! I'm getting Windows 7, and if that doesn't work, a Mac!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

You can mess with BIOS overlays to fool older BIOSes into using larger drives or you can gat a cheapie PATA card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-005-_-Product
and put that in an unused PCI slot. You will likely have to make a driver install floppy from the included driver CD and hit the F6 to install the drivers when booting up for the OS install.

I had tried the BIOS overlays years ago (cheapie customer's salvage system)and never had good luck with long term data integrity. If you have to use that drive on an older board, an add in PCI controller is the least hassle.

Edited by dpunisher, 22 February 2010 - 09:14 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

So it's what I thought with the 137GB barrier for the older systems?

I mean, I have another board I can use, but it has what I like to call "spontaneous reboot syndrome", and I'd rather not let it destroy my HDD.
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

The 137GB thing...has nothing to do with the system recognizing the drive. If the drive reflects properly in the BIOS, it reflects properly.

The 137GB barrier only applies to Windows and it was erased with SP1. That means that any XP install that includes SP1...does not encounter such barrier. You thus have a situation where the BIOS of an older system may only recognize 137GB...but this proves to be no impediment to installing/using XP.

Assuming that no one really wants a 320GB C: partition...there is no reason a properly attached, properly jumpered large hard drive...should not be able to install XP properly, regardless of partition size.

I suspect, looking at the data you posted...that your linux install has something to do with XP's inability to restall, along with the media that you are using to attempt the install. Particularly so if you are attempting to use any disks supplied by Compaq.

Louis

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

The 137GB barrier only applies to Windows and it was erased with SP1.

Not always. The problem on a system this old is a hardware/BIOS problem. Agree though that if the full drive capacity is reported in the BIOS, then the OS needs a patch/upgrade. The old BX chipsets had this problem (hence the overlays) to fool the BIOS addressing. Not sure on the 8XX series chipsets and whether they supported 48 bit addressing. A few hard drive manufacturers (Maxtor for one) sold a kit with a PCI controller card as these old chipsets had no hardware support for large drives.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

Good info, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

...that your linux install has something to do with XP's inability to restall, along with the media that you are using to attempt the install.

Well, I WAS using the Ubuntu OS to gain access to the internet, but it doesn't change anything on the HDD itself. I got "angry" and decided to pop the drive into my somewhat newer (P.O.S) rig, and it's working fine.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

And...the media used for these aborted install efforts?

Is the linux O/S in the first partition on the drive?

Louis

#9 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Linux was never installed onto the hard drive. It has an option (on the boot CD) to try Ubuntu before deciding to make any permanent changes to the disk. It pretty much lets you use everything on Ubuntu from the disc. I used this option to burn my discs and gain access to the internet.

The Windows I was trying to use was on a CD of course, and I've used the CD before, so I know it's not damaged.
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

"a CD"?

What type of CD? Is it a recovery/restore CD, a Compaq CD? If so, have you followed Compaq's instrucitons for so using?

Is it a genuine XP CD made by Microsoft?

No system made in 1998...came with XP installed. I've been assuming that you are trying to install XP...what O/S are you trying to install?

Louis

#11 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'm using the genuine, retail Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD. The installation runs fine, and the files copy to the HDD without a problem. The only issue is when it tries to reboot after the DOS section of the installation completes. It's supposed to skip booting from the CD, and continue the installation from the HDD, but it gives me a "Disk Read Error".
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users