Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor / Mouse inactivity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hi,
This one is quite interesting to me. Reminds me of House MD. Its a PC with an ASRock K7S41GX motherboard. Its running windows XP SP2 and they have 480MB memory running. They say that for some time now the machine monitor cuts off randomly. I've checked it and it does it. Sometimes in a few hours then in a few minutes then instantly. Its resolved by a restart. I initially suspected hardware problems. I've run the monitor on another PC ..no prob. I've run another monitor on the problem PC ..problem shows itself.
Today I disconnected all internals to the power supply. The case fans, hard drive , and CPU fancy LED's. floppy and DVD rom. I then reconnected just the hard drive and monitor. A few hours later ..its still up and running.. I connected the keyboard..still running. I did this with all the devices except the additional case fan. The machine was working perfectly for at least 4 hours. I then did an update of the Norton Corporate, then scanned. Then an update of Malwarebytes ..then scanned. Nothing came up. I decided to take a look at what programs the user has installed. I asked if I could delete ones that were not for basic operation. I got the go ahead and started deleting programs. After the third removal in control panel- add/ remove programs..this happened. The mouse would freeze. This too is always resolved by a restart. However, presently I am using the PC to write to you but if I should go into Control panel. The mouse will freeze and I have to do a restart. I can go anywhere on the PC ..except control panel. This makes me suspicious of a virus. However both Norton and Malwarebyes show nothing there. Oh I tried to use Microscope to check the hardware and the PC refuses to boot to it. The CD is good, quite used but always functional. I tried it on another machine and MicroScope booted as normal. The user has had this problem for several weeks now prior to bringing it to me.
Like I say at first glance ..one might say, onboard video, processor, memory might be bad. But how its not allowing me to access the add/ remove programs makes me suspicious of something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Well...I don't see a pattern to any of this.

Running the PSU without all systems attachments...proves nothing, IMO. The PSU could still be incapable of powering the full system configuration.

Mouse quirks, IME, are best solved by replacing the mouse. The fact that the mouse freezes when accessing Control Panel...is belied by the fact that you previously accessed CP with no problems.

The fact that the system shuts down...is what I would focus on. No pertinent error messages in Event Viewer? There would not be any if the system is overheating or is underpowered...but there probably would be one if the O/S is flaking out.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

A CPU failure...or a PSU failure...or a motherboard defect...or a RAM problem...none of these would necessarily provide any clues, if present, although I suspect that a motherboard or RAM problem would result in various STOP errors.

Louis

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:54 AM

On the 23/2/2010 -
System Error - 10:52pm -000000ea parameter1 84c85c90. parameter2 84da 9950 parameter3 84c 66b48 parameter4 00000001

On the 23/2/2010 - Error - 8:02pm - DHCP

On the 24/2/2010 - Error - 1:42am- DHCP

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Worth reading, http://www.devicedriverfinder.com/blog/dev...a-in-windows-xp.

Louis

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

So far so good. The system has lasted more than 12 hours thus far with at least 2 users on it at various times. The DVD rom is still disconnected. I read the article you offered and have reajusted the video acceleration. However just prior to this I got another video cut off. This time the error message was W32Time. It stated that there was something wrong with the clock time setting and it was so many seconds out. I adjusted the clock and restarted. Then I got another video cut off.. this time the error was again DHCP . then I adjusted the video acceleration . I'll see how they are going with that. I 'm a novice so that's why I was thinking that some of these probs were virual related. My novice logic..the clock is off so the video shuts down? "W32Time" or the network has a problem connecting so the video shuts down? "DHCP". Did not seem related.. to me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

W32Time errors onscreen...probably indicate that your CMOS battery is weak, resulting in the time being reflected inaccrurately in the BIOS. I would check the date/time reflected in the BIOS.

I've run a system where the clock was off (had reverted to a previous date/time) and the result can be files that have dates before or after post the reflected date/time...which can create confusion for Windows.

Louis

#7 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well I have not changed the CMOS battery and for several days now its keeping the correct time ( with unit off & logged off too). I'll close this post now. I consider it unresolved since the core of the problem was never discovered. There is no way to tell if these irregularities will commence again. Whilst checking through the machine I observed that their Antivirus has not been updated for more than 30 days. It is a stand alone status and requires manual updates. Its not taking any and says that I have no internet connection. That's incorrect. Will be posting that issue now in the appropiate section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users