Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire 6920G or no "G".

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Here is some awesome music, while you read: Týr - Sinklars Vísa

I have an Acer Aspire 6920G laptop... or maybe it's a 6920 without the G?

You see, my laptop has a sticker on it that says "Aspire 6920G".
Posted Image Right there! You see it?

But, dxdiag says otherwise:
Posted Image No G!

I'm planning to format and install Win7, but that G is confusing me! Should I get drivers for 6920G or no G? Is the G there just so Acer can sell this thing for a little more?

Is there a difference between the two, and should I listen to dxdiag or the sticker?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

What about the documentation that came with it? Packing slip, invoice, manual, etc...what do those say?

I cannot see the sticker picture clear enough to confirm whether the G is there or not (although I assume you can read it since that's what you're posting about).

Try seeing what Everest says. I wouldn't necessarily trust dxdiag with something like this. But, then again, the sticker I cannot see clearly could also be wrong.

Could you please take a close-up picture of the sticker? Thanks. :huh:

In the mean time, I will search the web for the differences between the G and non-G models...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

It might make a difference that the dxdiag box is in another language.... :huh:

And upon examination of the drivers available for download from Acer for both models, the lists of drivers appear to be almost identical.

I'm sure you still want to know which model your laptop is, and we will get to the bottom of it. But the drivers are arbitrary, at this point.

Aha!!

whats the difference between the acer aspire 6920 and acer aspire 6920g?

The G means "Gemstone Blue" - its just the nice blue design that is added. without the G it has all the specs, but less "chic" the design.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 22 February 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

Look up the service tag number on the bottom of the lap top or the serial/part number.

#5 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

What about the documentation that came with it? Packing slip, invoice, manual, etc...what do those say?

I cannot see the sticker picture clear enough to confirm whether the G is there or not (although I assume you can read it since that's what you're posting about).

Try seeing what Everest says. I wouldn't necessarily trust dxdiag with something like this. But, then again, the sticker I cannot see clearly could also be wrong.

Could you please take a close-up picture of the sticker? Thanks. :thumbup2:

In the mean time, I will search the web for the differences between the G and non-G models...

The first picture I found on Google, but It's the same computer. Here's a crappy close-up:
Posted Image Sorry, but I only have my phone-cam. You should see the G, though.

Hey, Everest is a nice piece of software, thanks! It also says that there is no G, so I guess we have our second opinion.

The documentation is buried pretty deep, and I don't think we need it. I'll get it if it's really necessary... :huh:

It might make a difference that the dxdiag box is in another language.... :huh:

And upon examination of the drivers available for download from Acer for both models, the lists of drivers appear to be almost identical.

I'm sure you still want to know which model your laptop is, and we will get to the bottom of it. But the drivers are arbitrary, at this point.

Aha!!

whats the difference between the acer aspire 6920 and acer aspire 6920g?

The G means "Gemstone Blue" - its just the nice blue design that is added. without the G it has all the specs, but less "chic" the design.

I have WinVista in danish, but it's just a translation, so I don't think there is any difference.

Strange that there are drivers for both the G and non-G models, when there is no difference between the two.

Look up the service tag number on the bottom of the lap top or the serial/part number.

Looked up the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and it also says 6920G.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Well, I guess you have your answer then.

You're welcome and enjoy Windows 7! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users