Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Error for a Website

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Josh3

Josh3

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hello,

I am back again with the same problem if you remember me a couple weeks ago.

It is involving Runescape.com and how I cannot connect to it. I type http://www.runescape.com into the url and I get a page back that looks similar to this ... Cannot Display Page - DNS Error

I know the website is working for everyone or this would be a major problem, so it has to be something specific on my end, but I have not got a clue as to what the problem would be.

Here is the problem:
Runescape (RS) usually works for me, but once every month or so, it decides to be stubborn and not work. The time it does not work for me while it is being stubborn varies, but it is usually around a few days to a week. After a few days or so, it magically decides to work again without me doing anything to fix it.

I am pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with:
-Firewall codes
-Internet connnection (every other page works for me besides RS)
-The same issue with all the computers linked to the router do not work for RS (aka. all computers in my house don't work for RS)
-Any updates I need to install (like Java or anything like that)
-Flushing the DNS using command prompt does not work
-Manually restarting modem and waiting 30 seconds to connect it again is useless
-Restarting computer does nothing

I also found this to be very odd as well. I "nslookup runescape.com" in the command prompt while RS was working for me and I got back this:
Name: runescape.com
Addresses: 216.115.77.137
These are all the possible IP addresses for RS, and yes I have tried typing them in while RS does not work, but it brings me to a similar page if I was to "View a cached copy of the web page." When I try doing a similar thing, "ping runescape.com", when RS is not working, I get back a completly different response ... "Ping request could not find host runescape.com. Please check the name and try again."

As you could assume, this is very annoying. The problem has being going on for a year or so, and I have tried to get help many times for it before, but nothing seems to works. The company, Runescape, has a forums section involving game issues, but a Forum Moderator said he has never seen this issue before and has no idea what is going on, nevertheless how to fix it. I have posted here once before and no results either, but I am hopeful. Any ideas would even be helpful at this time.

Thanks,
Josh

Edited by Josh3, 22 February 2010 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

bump

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

It definitely sounds like the issue is on your side. If this were happening to others there would be posts about it.

When you type ipconfig /all what does it show for your DNS servers?

How often is your IP refreshed? Lease Obtained - Lease Expires

I am scratching my head as to why this site would give you issues. <- this is my last response to your other post. Which you never answered.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

Sorry about not answering it, the website came back up for me relatively shortly and never remembered to look back here again.

When you type ipconfig /all what does it show for your DNS servers?
-DNS Suffix Search List ........... richmond.ssr.hp.com
ssr.hp.com
hp.com
-DNS Servers .......... 15.40.72.50
-Is that what you are asking for?

How often is your IP refreshed? Lease Obtained - Lease Expires
-I believe it is every 2-3 days. My dad said though that we are assigned the same IP address a lot whenever it is time to get a new one.

Edited by Josh3, 23 February 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#5 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Going to bed.

#6 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

bump

#7 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

anyone :{

#8 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Your DNS servers and network prefix indicate you are using HP corporate DNS servers. Do you have a VPN setup or other situation ? It may be that HP is blocking Runescape at their network edge. If possible, make sure your VPN is off and you are using a direct Internet connection from your ISP (I'm assuming you do not have a dedicated access installed and paid for by HP). My guess is that your VPN is providing DHCP resolution, assigning you an HP address and DNS servers. With the VPN shut down you should get a different IP address and DNS entries.

Let me know if this looks like it could be your situation.

#9 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

Nope that's not it.

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

Your DNS is usually assigned automatically by your ISP.

When the Conficker Worm scare was on, I set all my computers and router to use OPEN DNS as as my server and have never had a problem with it.

If you want to try it, go into the connection properties and uncheck Automatically Assign. Enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in the boxes.

You can check them out here - http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/

I have no idea whether this will help you with your problem, but worth a look.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

I made a previous post before about this too, and someone told me about OpenDNS as well, then we talked more about my problem and he said that would not fix anything.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Those DNS servers are on your computer? And not in the router? What is listed in the router?

Normally DNS on a PC = the default gateway IP address. All that does is say to the PC "You need to put a name with that IP address? Go to this IP address" And normally in your router are DNS servers assigned to you by your ISP.

Have you tried bypassing your router when this is happening? Just unplug the wire going from the modem to the router and plug it into your PC, release/renew your IP and see if you can go to the site.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#13 Josh3

Josh3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

Alrighty, I will see if we can do this or not. We have a pretty lengthy set-up though from router (garage) to main computer (attic) and also this computer (first floor), will have to wait for dad to get home before trying this or not, don't want to mess anything up.

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

What model router do you have? ( linksys, netgear, sonicwall, etc. )

Does your dad work from home and possibly work for HP?

If he does work from home, is it possible that you are experiencing these problems when he "is at home" working?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

You can surf into the router if you know the UN and PW, just type the IP address of your default gateway into a browser and have a look at the current config. Specifically what the DNS servers are set.

If you goto the TCP/IP properties of the connection, is your IP and DNS set to Obtain auto?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users