Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is slow and freezes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kat540

Kat540

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hello My OS is Windows 98 2nd Edition. It constantly freezes and stops responding. I downloaded Spybot and everytime it stops responding when I try to load it. I don't have virus protection I tried to get one of the free ones but their not available for win98 I ran scandisk and it said it fixed the error. Thank you for any help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

I don't have virus protection I tried to get one of the free ones but their not available for win98

Yes they are still available for Win98 Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368. I use this on my WinME. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Kat540

Kat540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

oh ok thank you :thumbsup: The computer with win98 2nd edition isn't working right now some problems with the monitor outlet plug this computer is running win 98 and is also having some problems with freezing and not responding any suggentions?

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

The computer with win98 2nd edition isn't working right now some problems with the monitor outlet plug this computer is running win 98 and is also having some problems with freezing and not responding any suggentions?

Well its how long is a piece of string? Without out seeing the machine is difficult to say what the monitor problem is. Why its freezes can be the number of apps that are running in the background. Each app uses system resources (memory). Plus you may have software running that you have forgotten about thats still running in the background.

How much memory do you have installed? Right-click on My Computerand select Properties at the bottom. Read the data of the bottom line of General tab.

I would also suggest you download and install some additional software which is free but I can't give you the name on here. This forum doesn't like you taking about it.

If you really love Win98SE as I do then once you get your monitor problem sorted if you don't have a Win98SE CD then get one of eBay and a boot disk and do a fromat and a fresh install. That way everything will be fresh and you know what you've installed.

If you can get Windows Explorer up and look at the date on the Windows or Program Files folder that will tell you when it was last rebuilt. :thumbsup:

Keith

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

I agree with Keith about a fresh install; put life into your computer, install the recommended
antivirus scanner and no worries about clearing up any infections you may currently have.

If you don't like buying through Ebay, there are other places, e.g. Amazon, where you can
get the genuine article. Depends on whether you want to spend any dollars, or just attempt
to fix your unresponsive systems.

If you do have Win98 and Win98 SE disks, I recall that reinstalling was a breeze.

Not sure about anti-malware / anti-spyware programs - there seem to be conflicting
views on these.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

I typically reformat & reinstall both 98 & XP at least once a year or whenever it messes up, whichever comes first.
It really does make a big difference!

Pls post the make & model of the system so that we can provide you with a link for the drivers.
You will want to have them available and ready to install if you opt to do this.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Kat540

Kat540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

i have 160mb of ram it also says pentium 2 and it says dell optiplex on the box if that helps

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

i have 160mb of ram it also says pentium 2 and it says dell optiplex on the box if that helps

Well my Win98SE was on a Pentium 2 266Mhz but I upgraded it to a AMD-K6 550Mhz and I had 639MB of RAM. The extra RAM will make all the difference when you have a lot of apps running. Do a restart and when you can only see your desktop do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and make a note of all the apps that are running in Task Manager and post them back on here. Count how many icons you have in the Systray next to the clock?

I can give you a memory checker app that I made a few years ago. It shows the amount of memory you have and how much is being used along with how much System Resources you have free. It runs on top of all other apps so you can End Task different apps and see how much resources you gain. You will then know which apps are using all your memory and you can disable them. I've posted this memory checker on here before but I've made a slight update since.

Memory_Checker.zip Post #28

If you want the newer version let me know. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 Kat540

Kat540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

I downloaded your program but I think I need winzip right? When I went to the website the page wouldnt load all the way

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

I downloaded your program but I think I need winzip right? When I went to the website the page wouldnt load all the way

What no WinZip, what is the computing world coming too? :thumbsup:

WinZip or WinRAR will open a zip file.

Well its left with you which WinZip you want to use, I personally use WinZip 7.0. I know its old but it works how I want it to work. I use 7.0 on my WinXP and Vista machines. I've used all the later versions and they are s**t. You can download WinZip WinZip 9.0 SR-1 or less will work on Win98SE.

If you read my Memory Checker.exep carefully you will see that is made using Visual Basic 6.0 and therefore it needs Msvbvm60.dll in your Windows\System folder. You can download and install the basic runtime files from Microsoft.

Have you managed to make a list of all files running in Task Manager? :flowers:

I forgot to ask When I went to the website the page wouldnt load all the way. Which web site here or Microsoft?

Edited by Keithuk, 02 March 2010 - 10:32 AM.

Keith

#11 Kat540

Kat540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

I downloaded visual basic but when i went to the winzip page it wouldnt load I'll try again maybe it will work today
Here is what is running in task manager: this website, Explorer, TeaTimer, Systray, Ashwebsv

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

I downloaded visual basic but when i went to the winzip page it wouldnt load I'll try again maybe it will work today

Well I've just downloaded WinZip 7.0 of Oldversion.com straight off.

You could alway use WinZip 9.0 SR-1 even though is says for Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / XP64 it will run on Win98SE.

Here is what is running in task manager: this website, Explorer, TeaTimer, Systray, Ashwebsv

Is that all that shows? I think TeaTimer is part of a spyware scanner or spyware remover. Ashwebsv is part of Avast, so you got it installed and running then? Both of these apps use quite a bit of memory resources if you Google them.

You only need Explorer and Systray for Win98 to run. :thumbsup:

Keith

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

TeaTimer is part of Spybot

you can turn it off if you want

and just get winrar

it never runs out ( petty much free ) and i have never ever had a error with it

#14 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

I note you have now installed an antivirus program

what had you been running on it?

Have you yet managed to run a full computer scan for viruses?

You may wish to know that Superantispyware is compatible with Win 98se , but you need to be aware to not update the program but just the definitions ; this version should be compatible with your OS; but do NOT update the program , just the definitions

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/2579/

I personally would not recommend the use of Spybot

Also please tell us when you last run a Defragment of the Computer ?

#15 Kat540

Kat540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

I ran a full system scan the day before yesterday and nothing showed up i did a defrag and scandisk last week with no errors before i downloaded avast i didnt have antivirus

Edited by Kat540, 06 March 2010 - 02:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users