Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD space dissapearing by the second

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allan_techo

allan_techo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I had the low disk space message last night, so I deleated files which gave 108GB free. This morning I noticed that I only had 32gb free. I have now been watchin my HDD space dissapear by the second, I now have just got the low disk space message again. I have run spybot, spy emergency, spy hunter, nod 32 scanner, trend micro house call all of which have found nothing.

I am just about to run malwarebytes as I have seen suggested on this site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 allan_techo

allan_techo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

completed malwarebytes, once that finished it had to restart to complete. I did this then the computer would no longer start up, tried to do a windows repair with the cd, this didn't work, then go it started with loading last known good configuration or what ever it was. Right now just backing up everything ( I know should have already been done before something like this happens). I dont know where the log saved to so cant post. only found a few problems. Computer still loosing Hard drive space rapidly. When computer restarted it had 185gb free now has 0mb free. So for now will just be backing up for a while and see if I have to end up formatting.

I hope someone here know what the problem could be, I have never seen anything like this before, I am guessing it is something duplicating itself or something I dont know, help please I don't want to reformat.

#3 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:26 AM

When you open the Malwarebytes' program, you will see a whole row of tabs across the top.
There's a tab called Logs.
Click the Logs tab.
You can click individual scan results to open them, view the results.
From there, you can copy the entire contents of the scan results, and paste it into your next reply.

I'd certainly want to know what is eating up your hard drive space as such a fast rate.

Try this. Start button, Search, Files or Folders.
In the top line where you would normally type a file name, type in
*.*
(* is a wildcard, and essentially you're telling it "show me all files")

Then click "When was it modified", to expand that section.
Click to put a radio dot in "Specify Dates".
In the line underneath "Specify Dates", click the down arrow and pick "Created Date".
Just for kicks and giggles, start with 02-20-10 for the "from" date, and use 02-22-10 for the "to" date.
Then, in "More Advanced Options", make sure there is a checkmark in the first three choices:
  • Search system folders
  • Search hidden files and folders
  • Search subfolders
Then hit the Search button.

See if anything jumps out at you as to the possible culprit.

Many years ago, this happened on a co-worker's computer that had HUNDREDS of files that were created, one after another, (the time of ea file was like one minute apart) and each one of them was 3,268kb in size. It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. The program that went to that file association had some glitch, and the IT guy at work uninstalled the program, and then reinstalled the program, and that stopped it.

I can't say for certain that is what's going on in YOUR case, but hopefully this will shed some light on what you're experiencing.

Please reply back with what (if anything) unusual that you find.
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#4 allan_techo

allan_techo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for your help, I did a search and manged to find a 200GB file, looks as though it may have been a log file from registry mechanic, I uninstalled reg. mech. and was unable to remove the file, I stopped all processes I could find for all virus/spyware software, and still unable to remove the file. I had to restart in safe mode with dos support. I was then able to delete the file through dos, and all seems well now.

Im just so glad it was nothing serious, even though it did make me spend all day backing up almost 30 dvd's worth of data. But I should of already had that backed up anyway.

Thanks again.

#5 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hello :thumbsup:
Glad you got to the source of the problem on what was eating up your hard drive space, and thanks for reporting back :flowers:
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Once again a reg cleaner doing more harm then good, that's why the staff here at BC won't recommend using one. i am glad to see you issue has been cleared up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users