Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Restoration Partition Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

I am helping a friend that has a 18 month old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista Home Premium. Her hard drive is failing and it will be necessary to replace the hard drive.

I have been able to go in and use an external hard drive to save all of her picture, docements, etc.

I also saved the restoration partition that was put on the hard drive.

Here is my question. When I install a new hard drive, I assume that I should next install the Vista Home Premium from the included disk. Does it make any sense to reintroduce the restoration partition which I have saved on the hard drive. I could set up the partition when I first install Vista Home Premium.

My thinking is that I then could start the restoration process and thus have the computer installed with all the programs it originally came with.

I would need help with the following:

1) How to set up the restoration partition when I first set up Vista on the new hard drive. I can determine from the size of the files within the partition
how big it should be.

2) How to start the restoration process after I have the files for the restoration partition installed. on the computer. (I know on some computers
you would choose F10 or F11 to start the restoration process!)

3) Is it really worth the bother to go through all of this. I DO HAVE THE VISTA INSTALLATION CD AND THE DRIVERS!!!

Thanks for any and all thoguhts on this. I appreciate all your ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Dell wanted $50.00 to even talk to her since her warranty had run out. I thought that was pretty bad.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

I would for the safe of what happens if that CD you created failed or gets lost?

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Cryptodan,

I have both a CD of the restoration partition and I also have it on my external. My friend is going to Best Buy tomorrow to get a drive that matches what is in her laptop. If the CD doesn't work, I can still paste from my external. Does that make sense??

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

If the system is out of warranty tell her to get a much bigger drive.

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

cryptodan

I told her she could get a 320 for about $70.00 on line. A 500 gig was $119.00. I agree that most of the laptop have really small hard drives.

Does my idea to restore make any sense? It would put all the programs that Dell originally had on the computer back on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users