Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS Checksum Bad

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

My Packard Bell iPower is great but it does something very annoying every time I turn it on.

Basically, I turn it on and it begins to boot up and I see the PB splash screen. Then in the blink of eye I sometimes manage to catch a glimpse of a black & white DOS error message CMOS Checksum Bad then the machine mimics a re-start and once again displays the PB splash screen then proceeds to boot into Windows 7 just fine.

Bizarre..but annoying..very annoying.

Any ideas of how I can resolve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

My Packard Bell iPower is great but it does something very annoying every time I turn it on.

Basically, I turn it on and it begins to boot up and I see the PB splash screen. Then in the blink of eye I sometimes manage to catch a glimpse of a black & white DOS error message CMOS Checksum Bad then the machine mimics a re-start and once again displays the PB splash screen then proceeds to boot into Windows 7 just fine.

Replace the CMOS Battery: http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/cmos+battery.gif

#3 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Replace the CMOS Battery: http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/cmos+battery.gif

Thanks - if I take the battery out then would it lose any info inbetween me putting a new one back in?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks - if I take the battery out then would it lose any info inbetween me putting a new one back in?

Nope it wouldn't, but I would go buy one and replace it when you do remove it.

#5 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Nope it wouldn't, but I would go buy one and replace it when you do remove it.

I only ask coz I read somewhere it could bugger your BIOS settings up or something? I don't even know how I would even backup my BIOS or know where to go to download them from?

Presumably I can get a new battery from a watch repair shop or something? Never had to buy one before :huh:

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

They sell them at any computer store, a lot of drug stores. Not hard to find. Please make a note of what side of the battery is up as you look at it installed. Make sure you install it in the same manner. You should also reset you time to computer time. Right click on you time/date lower right hand of task bar and go to adjust time. Then at the top is internet time. If you computer is not synced with internet time all kinds won't happen correctly.

#7 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

but would if affect my BIOS settings by taking the battery out?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

but would if affect my BIOS settings by taking the battery out?

Nope it wouldn't due to it being stored on a sort of ROM ship.

#9 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

just replaced the battery...didn't work :huh:

still get the CMOS checksum bad error message on initial boot then it re-boots and loads Windows as normal...how annoying :huh:

#10 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

is there anything else I can do folks?

Edited by B_o_b_o, 17 March 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#11 guman0v

guman0v

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Try resetting BIOS settings to defaults, and also removing the power cord for several minutes.

#12 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Try resetting BIOS settings to defaults, and also removing the power cord for several minutes.

doh! how do I do that? :huh:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

There should be a jumper on your motherboard and next to that jumper it should say CLR CMOS

If you have the motherboard owners manual handy, it should show you a map lay out of where the various jumpers are located on the board.

Caution: Please remove the battery before doing this, because sometimes these jumpers short the battery out if it is still installed.

If you continue having problems, a BIOS chip ROM "flash upgrade" might be needed.

Be advised, my suggestion above regarding a BIOS ROM "flash upgrade" should not be performed unless you really know the risks involved or really know what you are doing, as a bad flash can render your computer un-bootable.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 March 2010 - 07:02 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

There should be a jumper on your motherboard and next to that jumper it should say CLR CMOS

If you have the motherboard owners manual handy, it should show you a map lay out of where the various jumpers are located on the board.

Caution: Please remove the battery before doing this, because sometimes these jumpers short the battery out if it is still installed.

If you continue having problems, a BIOS chip ROM "flash upgrade" might be needed.

Be advised, my suggestion above regarding a BIOS ROM "flash upgrade" should not be performed unless you really know the risks involved or really know what you are doing, as a bad flash can render your computer un-bootable.

ok confused

what is the difference between resetting BIOS settings and totally clearing them? I'm frightened of losing them forever :huh:

from a quick google, either messing about with jumpers or taking the battery out for a prolonged period or performing a reset within the CMOS setting screens all make me think which is the best way to do this and why?

remember when I changed the battery I also dis-connected the power cord as well then changed the battery and then re-connected the power cord

is there nothing I could just select within CMOS itself instead of touching the mobo?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

You really can't lose the CMOS as it is store on non-volatile memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users